High Vis Brake Light on Surrey Top

Not sure but I think Stuart has one fitted to his.

Mick Richards

Stuart showed me at his workshop, his is on the upper end of the window, much higher.

That gave me later the idea to realise this also on my softtop with a braking light to clip on - like on a bicycle.

Another project for a time far in the future - or next week ????

Edited by Z320

I have fitted on in the same place as help on my TR6 hard top.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253324992026

Works well

Tim

In the process of fitting a Surrey Top and would like to take the opportunity to install a high vis brake light in the back light.

Havent found anything suitable so looking for recommendations.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Maybe one of these may fit https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/lighting-high-level-3rd-brake-lights#/pageSize=20&viewMode=grid&orderBy=0

Edited by Kevo_6

Not very high level Stef, surely would be better at top of screen. I am following this thread with interest since I am looking at fitting such a light to my car. Can the wires be tucked under the glazing rubber so as to be invisible?

Tim.

I made my own as I couldnt find anything suitable for the window shape. It helps that as my Surrey frame is fibreglass I bonded a section of wood in across the top so I have something to screw it too. It has a strip of red LED`s on the rear with a rubber seal below it up against the window to prevent any light spill downwards and on the front side it has a strip of white LED`s that are used as an interior light.Wires run up each side through the headlining in the frame and down through the rear quarter panels and the interior light is switched under the dash at the moment but will probably eventually go to a door switch too, I also have two white LED strips in the foot wells as well, the inside of the car is like daylight with them all on!

Stuart.

post-3753-0-75379000-1531819437_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-40506900-1531819450_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

I made one up a couple of years ago which has worked well, and avoids either sticking anything to the glass or lining (which can drop off in the heat), and greatly minimises light spill at night. The fixing requires no drilling, using the rubber glass seal. The wires are also tucked under the seal.

It was described in the NLG newsletter at the time. PM me if you want a copy of the article.

Mike

Not very high level Stef, surely would be better at top of screen. I am following this thread with interest since I am looking at fitting such a light to my car. Can the wires be tucked under the glazing rubber so as to be invisible?

Tim.

This is why. Been looking for LED 2-in-one to no avail.

post-11469-0-32706800-1531822857_thumb.jpeg

I like Stuart’s idea of interior/brake light but unfortunately haven’t the time (or Skill!) to make a similar one.

I am using a fibreglass backlight so have just shaped and bonded in a piece of wood as per Stuart. It made a pleasant change working with wood instead of metal.

I have purchased this for now, but might change at a later date if something better comes along.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/pedestal-mount-28-led-high-level-brake-light-255mm

Thanks for your help

Nigel

I like Stuart’s idea of interior/brake light but unfortunately haven’t the time (or Skill!) to make a similar one.

I am using a fibreglass backlight so have just shaped and bonded in a piece of wood as per Stuart. It made a pleasant change working with wood instead of metal.

I have purchased this for now, but might change at a later date if something better comes along.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/pedestal-mount-28-led-high-level-brake-light-255mm

Thanks for your help

Nigel

Nigel

You may find that one will sit too low and be right in your view through your rear view mirror.

I only made mine up from a sheet of 18SWG steel bent in a "L" with a short piece of rubber seal similar to the splash panel seal to stop downward light spill and two LED strips like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5050-LED-Strip-Light-12V-Car-Caravan-White-Blue-Red-Green-Warm-White-10-30-cm/262453353235?epid=1767713089&hash=item3d1b705b13%3Am%3AmA1MPmcnLQHqRd-eVx9ZoHA&var=561256772546&_sacat=0&_nkw=led+strip+lights+12v&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R5.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XLED+ST.TRS0

One white for interior and one red for the brake light.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

It arrived today and with the mount removed it looks like I should be able to mount it flush with the top using some double sided sticky pads.

Will post pictures, but first I have to complete the trimming, cardboad patterns and metal trim pieces cut so just have to cut the leather and stick it on. Great fun as I usually spend more time cleaning off all the excess glue!!

Cheers

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update

Stuart was right of course about it being too low.

Sticky pad didnt work very well, so I ended up shortening the bracket and this is the end result.

Time will tell if it gets in the way

Cheers

Nigel

post-4217-0-17511500-1533231768_thumb.jpeg

post-4217-0-27777800-1533231807_thumb.jpeg

For information really, when I fitted my ROB I had a frame fabricated and welded to the bar which houses the led, very professional looking and at the right height, cheers, Andrew

• 8 months later...

Another topic I should have finished but here goes.

Half way to ANGOULÊME last year the vibrations caused the flimsy bracket to snap so disconnected it and did without.

Have now taken it to pieces and done away with the mounting bracket, drilled a couple of holes throug the body and screwed it back in place.

it now sits flush and nothing to break so  another job done!

Nigel