Whats in a fuel injector

Finally finished (as far as these cars are ever finished) BUO and went for a short test drive, only running on 5, located guilty cylinder, injector not pulsing pulled the injector (New) and the valve is just flopping about in the end of the injector stem, disconnected from the injector line and a small plastic and steel cylinder fall out, recon injector obviously need but was there anything else that could have dropped into the cylinder ? the valve its self is still in place so I'm hoping not

ATB Graham

Graham plenty of diagrams online of injector.

All it is is a pipe with a valve inside, this valve is made up of a holes cylinder which has an oring on the outside this cylinder has spring inside for the nozzle. on the end of this is a plastic adjustor with allen key fitting.

Thats about it.

If its a new recon injector you should ask for a replacement.

Where did you get it?

Tony

Finally finished (as far as these cars are ever finished) BUO and went for a short test drive, only running on 5, located guilty cylinder, injector not pulsing pulled the injector (New) and the valve is just flopping about in the end of the injector stem, disconnected from the injector line and a small plastic and steel cylinder fall out, recon injector obviously need but was there anything else that could have dropped into the cylinder ? the valve its self is still in place so I'm hoping not

ATB Graham

Hi Graham,

The problem is those nylon plastic locking sleeves degrade with age (40 years?) and are not replaced by the injection re-conners when they are re-conditioned. I bought 6 exchange injectors and 3 of them failed in this way over 18 months use. I then found out that KMI had stopped using those sleeves for this reason and had replaced them by using a nyloc nut, never had a problem since! If this happens we are lucky that nothing falls into the cylinder bore.

Bruce.

I am not clear how or what you think can drop into the cylinder?

Hi Graham,

Panic over! I did not word it very well!

If this is referring to my reply? Nothing can drop into the cylinder because everything is captive by the injector body!

Bruce.

hahaa yes Bruce, was wondering.

The injector valve is in the injector body which has a smaller diameter at the tip so it cant.

The whole injector spring body is one item which you shouldnt dismantle, just change the o'ring and try not to screw the plastic adjuster as if you do you will need to recalibrate the injector to 55psi or just over.

Tony