Update on my PI issues

Well, perhaps the first thing is to clear the block drain, I used a cordless drill to clear mine when all else failed, the bad news is that I doubt it will fix the coolant overflowing,but you have to start somewhere. then refill with the front of the car raised

Good luck,

John

How far in can you drill here John?

Ian I take it the fan was running too when you switched off?

What is the condition of the radiator?

Edited by DaveN

Ian I take it the fan was running too when you switched off?

What is the condition of the radiator?

The radiator is only a couple of months old Dave.

Ok. So that points back to a local hot spot in the block. I think you need to sort that before pulling the head especially if it’s running well!

How far in can you drill here John?

Hi Ian,

Since my tap is this out it was easy to measure the free depth:

Measured from the cast boss on the block (gasket face) I could measure 22 mm free depth. I have a CP block, so not sure if it differes to later blocks that used a different casting.

The inside thread diameter is 11.4 mm.

I would remove the valve or plug, if needed by drilling out to as lage as possoble (like 10 mm) and using a good left hand tap get out the remainder.

Then you can do a thorough flush via the waterpump housing connection to the head. I would remove that one too.

You may be surprised to find the inlet and outlet of the head (wich are feed and return for the entire block) are partially blocked (mine were).

Push in a flexible hard plastic hose from above, and try to get too all the little corners.

Use a screwdriver to remove the accessible areas like the head inlet abd outlet.

I then used phosphoric acid for 24 hrs, diluted to 25 or 30%, but if you are not sure how to do this, then dont.

Nasty stuff.

Maybe a good flush and clean by hand is enough.

Waldi

Ian,

As Waldi has now removed the fear factor by measuring his block it should be straight forward. My engine had no discolouration of the coolant and underside of radiator cap was perfect, but as in Waldi's case my return was partially blocked and although the heater appeared to work so was the heater head outlet and heater valve. It's worth checking all those things while your at it.

John

post-6710-0-02062800-1532195625_thumb.jpgSome progress today, I used another 10 minute flush product and now have a dribble from the block, what crud I got out was a black substance, I'm suspecting silicone. I have a more aggressive flushing agent arriving on Monday, this one sits in the system for several days, hopefully I can improve on the dribble.

Ian

Very good Ian,

Watch the waterpump and coolant level for the first few weeks as it may start to develop a leak, but not nessecary.

Waldi

PS: nice car!

Edited by Waldi

Very good Ian,

Watch the waterpump and coolant level for the first few weeks as it may start to develop a leak, but not nessecary.

Waldi

PS: nice car!

Thanks Waldi, I had the 'stat cover off last night to check if there was any debris in the housing, all looked clear there. I am trying EVAPO-RUST® C715 Thermocure next week, I have had no luck in obtaining any "Restore+" anywhere.

Ian

I didn't drain the radiator flush yesterday, I thought I'd check the block drain today and it seem to be running freely now. I'm still going ahead with the acid based stuff that arrives tomorrow but I'm hopeful that I can have a clean system now.

Ian

Ian

Does your thermostat have a bleed hole with the little jiggle pin in it? This will help when filling with water as it allows the air to come out of the head and so get as much air out as possible. If there isnt a hole this will trap air in the head. You can just drill a very small hole in the outer ring of the thermostat, or get a proper one. You might be better fitting a 74 degree thermostat for the summer.

John

Ian

Does your thermostat have a bleed hole with the little jiggle pin in it? This will help when filling with water as it allows the air to come out of the head and so get as much air out as possible. If there isnt a hole this will trap air in the head. You can just drill a very small hole in the outer ring of the thermostat, or get a proper one. You might be better fitting a 74 degree thermostat for the summer.

John

Thanks John, I will be filling with a vacuum filling kit so hopefully shouldn't have any air in the system in any case.

Ian