Filler on Bare Metal or Primer

Just finished putting in some sill repair sections (non TR) and need to apply a thin skim of filler before finishing. So have some original painted metal, some primed fresh metal, and some weld. I quickly gave it a thin coat of primer after welding to stop initial rust, but now need to fill and finish.

Can I apply filler on top of paint & primer or should I get everywhere where filler is to be applied back to bare metal first. NB it will only be a thin skim I guess ranging from about 1-2mm down to a feather edge.

Alan

Go back to bare as there could be anything under the paint.I always bare everything then coat with Bondarust while the rest is done then 80 grit the Bondarust for a proper key then fill where required. I always use a quality filler too (UpolD)

Stuart.

post-3753-0-73807200-1531574219_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-18502800-1531574251_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-42191000-1531574318_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-66401400-1531574352_thumb.jpg

I've always preferred filler directly on bare metal, but the maker of the epoxy primer I use now recommends filler on top of the primer, claiming better adhesion.

Ed

Go back to bare as there could be anything under the paint.I always bare everything then coat with Bondarust while the rest is done then 80 grit the Bondarust for a proper key then fill where required. I always use a quality filler too (UpolD)

Stuart.

+1 every time.

Edited by iain