Wood Dash - Earliest factory fitment

Tom,

I think guys your side of the pond would have a better idea.

I haven't seen anything official but it seems wood dashes

were fitted to US-bound TR4s long before they became an

option in the UK.

I can only suggest you dig out some US brochures that may

just list the wood dash as an option.

My guess is late 1962 when the first ones were fitted.

I suspect the factory fitted them to some cars to test opinion,

without them being specified as an optional extra.

I have seen quite a few factory Service Bulletins and I don't

recall seeing anything mentioned, but there are many gaps

in the records.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I’ve knowledge of an early TR4 CT404LO. Built in 1961 and still very very original. This car has a ‘normal’ metal dashboard without the added wood. I agree with Alan in that wood dashes were not being fitted to US cars in 1961.

For info, this car is going to be advertised for sale in the very near future by its current owner for whom I found the car a few years ago.

David

By 63 the wood dash was pretty much a normal fitting for US cars as it seems most unrestored cars that appear for sale have them.

Stuart.

I know of at least (1) conversion thereto of an early TR4 ( don't know the year, but has TR3 seats ). Beautiful restored car ( which provides more driving fun than the owner's E-type he says ) but the instrument lights couldn't be made to work with the wood dash, somehow.

I can't remember seeing any early TR4s, prior to ' 65 anyway, which had original wood dashes. They all looked like aftermarket ones, and to my dismay invariably were less lovely than those TRIUMPH fitted to late 4s and 4A. Does anyone think the one Yankee TR5 cites is an original dash? Looks way too plain to me; this example looks more like it ( may not be original but a better facsimile if not, IMO ):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183320320675

Tom

I know of at least (1) conversion thereto of an early TR4 ( don't know the year, but has TR3 seats ). Beautiful restored car ( which provides more driving fun than the owner's E-type he says ) but the instrument lights couldn't be made to work with the wood dash, somehow.

I can't remember seeing any early TR4s, prior to ' 65 anyway, which had original wood dashes. They all looked like aftermarket ones, and to my dismay invariably were less lovely than those TRIUMPH fitted to late 4s and 4A. Does anyone think the one Yankee TR5 cites is an original dash? Looks way too plain to me; this example looks more like it ( may not be original but a better facsimile if not, IMO ):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183320320675

Tom

The Bring a trailer example has an original type of dash as they were a very plain finish. The Ebay one is definitely modern aftermarket and no original 4 or 4a dashes were ever produced in burr walnut., I have seen quite a few US market cars with wood dashes dating back to at least 63.

Stuart.

Bob's Dove above looks more like it to me ( original, Bob? ) and just like my '65 as I remember it. Much prettier than the BAT dash which also exhibits a texture not found on originals.

Have to disagree with you Stuart w/r/t plainness of the 4/4A dashes. These made the 5/250/6 dashes look cheap by comparison.

Tom

Here's another:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mnl_hWPEDqwC&pg=PA48&dq=original+TRIUMPH+TR4+dashboard&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3rqTH3qHcAhVm8IMKHe8NBJQQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=original%20TRIUMPH%20TR4%20dashboard&f=false

Bill's claim of its originality works for me -_- . He indicates autumn of 1964 as the debut of the wood dash offering for LHD cars.

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont