U.S. market TR6 origens?

Hello,Mine is l.h.d. and I bought it in San Francisco 29-6-1994. the commission plate has Commission No. paint 56 trim 27 and says this vehicle complies with all U.S. federal safety standards applicable on April 1 1968. The Standard Triumph Motor Co. Ltd. Coventry England. Regards,Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered three certificates for part of my "collection". Will be interesting to see what they say about those three cars!(I have owned these three cars for a combined total of over 98 YEARS!) Michael.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,I received the certificate for the TR6 and everything matches except the engine no.! (the one in the car is a lower no. than the certificate ).There is quite a bit of interesting information on the certificate compared to my wife's certificate for her TR3A.Michael.

Yes, BMIHT certificates are a good thing to have for a TR, and they're always interesting. I learned, for example, on exactly what day my car was made and on what ship it came across the Atlantic.

It's *very* rare for those certificates to have an error. I'm guessing your car had an engine change early in its life.

Commission Plate data:

Paint Code 56 is Royal Blue; Trim Code 27 is Shadow Blue.

On 6-Pack.org there is a FAQ page identifying codes.

http://www.6-pack.org/vb5/articles/faqs/587-tr6-color-and-trim-options-by-year

Cheers

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

Yes, BMIHT certificates are a good thing to have for a TR, and they're always interesting. I learned, for example, on exactly what day my car was made and on what ship it came across the Atlantic.

It's *very* rare for those certificates to have an error. I'm guessing your car had an engine change early in its life.

I would have to disagree about the statement that it is rare for there to be errors? My cert. has at least 3 errors. This was put down to bad hand writing? and a number of other items missed off! This may be that, the OEM accessories that I ordered were found in the boot and not fitted.

My hard top arrived 3 weeks later in a wooded box unpainted in top coat except for the red oxide and unassembled. All items were ordered at the same time on the original dealers factory order.

Bruce.

Hah! That really created a long-lasting memory, didn't it, Bruce!

Are the numbers on your certificate correct for the corresponding numbers on your car?

Hah! That really created a long-lasting memory, didn't it, Bruce!

Are the numbers on your certificate correct for the corresponding numbers on your car?

Yes the numbers are correct! But the additional items were not i.e. my car did not have Dunlop Sport tyres as stated on my Cert. as BL had stopped fitting them because of disintegration problems on the German auto bahns and I had ordered XAS which it came with. Also I ordered hazard warning lights, these were fitted but nothing on my Heritage Cert. etc.

Bruce.

They weren't even close, then, were they, Bruce? On my car, everything is absolutely right on, and other sidescreen certificates I've seen have been right, too. I wonder if it's a production era thing to get so much wrong later on?

Hello,So according to the written word my motor is out of the 500th TR6 carby. The trim color is different too. I will see what they say about my wife's TR3 (we already have a Standard Register certificate for it,which is a bit ordinary looking.She has owned the car since 1971.) Regards,Michael.

My TR is an US import and I thought i'd trace it back to some previous owners. The guy I bought it off got it from a bloke in Seattle so thought I would start here. I had this slightly romantic idea of a Frazier Krane type cruising Seattle and stopping at coffee shops etc so was in for a surprise when I searched him. His name was not common so he was actually easy to google. . and the result showed he was not a professor as I imagined but was doing a very-very long stretch in prison! I still consider writing but am a bit wary of the suspect plastic wrapped package I can see in the fuel tank ;-)

Rich

Anyone keeping a log of all these ex Exported TR's coming back here? Soon they won't be that rare at all, and hopefully they'll stay at sensible affordable prices for future owners to enjoy.

Heritage certificates can be very useful. The one for my Stag showed it as built between Xmas and new year even though it wasn’t registered until the summer. This made it Road tax exempt. The previous owner had written down the BMHT address but never got round to sending the letter. Cost him several years road tax.

Different presumably down under but it’s nice to know the background.

Hello Andy, In Australia there is a rolling 30 year age limit for "classic"vehicles one can get (if a member of an approved club) concessional registration with a 60 day fill in your log book go anywhere registration AND this is separate from any designated club outings! At about $60 a year (which includes third party personnel insurance) + a one off cost of number plates .Approx.$35. Regards,Michael. Mine was built on 25 October 1968 and shipped from Glasgow to Los Angles on the 'Moerdyke'.