engine and gearbox installation in car, what items can be installed prior to lifting?

Hi all,

the restauration of my 1970 CP TR6 is progressing steady, albeit at a slow rate.

I have now completed the engine rebuild, and want to install the Engine +GB+OD+ starter motor as a complete unit in the car; the body is already installed on the chassis; front wings and bonnet are not.

Due to my medical condition, I want to install as much as possible of the ancilaries to the engine before lifting the assemply in the car.

I have looked at the internet and found the starter motor and exhaust manifold (less the down pipes) can be installed prior to lifting, and so can the dynamo (alternator).

I want to install the exhaust downpipes, oil filter and its adapter (for screw-on K&N filter) after installation of the engine/GB in the car.

I have free access from the inside, (no tunnel, seats etc), have an engine hoits and spreader and supports to lift the back of the car by 20-30 cm.

Also, the front cross tube will be removed.

And I do not have the mechancial fan and extension, so that helps a bit.

Now my question: Would it also be possible to install the CP throttle bodies and linkages, less the air plenum?

And what about the MU and ignition and clutch slave cyclinder?

Best regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

Just done exactly that.

You can fit distributor, MU along with pipes, coil, water pump and throttle bodies and linkage. You need to get to the engine mount so it might be easier to leave the linkage off. I assume you have got the bonnet and radiator off.

It's a bit of a faff but not too bad. You really need two people to guide it under the bulkhead. Also jack the back of the car up as high as you can, as this keeps the engine/gearbox assembly level (ish).

It's a big lump and swings, so be careful of that bulkhead!

Good luck.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thank you.

Within 10 minutes an answer on a question I did not find on the www after 1 hr of searching, it is hard to beat this forum????.

I have friends that come and help me, and we will raise the back as far as possible.

Best regards,

Waldi

Re self leveling bar.

I found best to set the bar right to one end then adjust lengths of lifting links to level the engine so that you can adjust to even more of an extreme angle needed to slip in nicely.

And raise the rear of the car if possible.

Alan

Hi Rob and Alan,

I have this leveling thingy and bringing the leveler to one side is a good hint!

Thanks,

Waldi

• 1 month later...

Mile stone accomplished: The engine and GB/OD are back in the car.

We installed the engine + gearbox/OD + all bolt on-items:

Throttlebodys, Exhaust manifold, alternator, meetering unit, distribution, oil filter adapter (less filter), slave cylinder, starter motor and enginemounts were all installed on the engine prior to lifting.

We were with 4 man (isn't is great to have a handy son and ditto friends?), and 3 would be a safe miniumum, as you need to look/be everywhere at the same time.

In hindsight, we should have left the engine mounts off (the four bolts to the engine block on each side, but it is possible.

We used the original two engine lifting points and the leveling thingy worked fine in combination with an engine lift.

I had the valve cover loose, to avoid damage from the rear lifting chain.

Only the fuel lines from no 2 and 5 were installed on the MU, but not connected to the injectors to avoid damaging the nylon lines while lifting.

The cross bar between the 2 front suspension towers was also removed.

The entire job took us 3 hrs.

Waldi

post-13554-0-36455500-1535200738_thumb.jpgpost-13554-0-48680500-1535200748_thumb.jpg

No matter home many times you do this it always feels like quite a landmark. Like giving the car back its heart!

Thanks,

Luckily, I still have that little boy in me, and on a day like this he shows up????.

Waldi

Hi Mark,

Thanks.

It is signal red, 2K.

It requires a light colored primer, but any paintshop will know that.

Waldi

Hi Steve,

There is no end-date:)

I bought the car December 2015 as a non-runner, part- dismantled.

After a thorough inspection I decided to do a complete body-off restoration.

During the work it became clear this was the right decision: corrosion, items just about to fail, fatigue cracks, burnt wires, worn bearings, stuck calipers, I found it all.

Im not in a hurry, as past experience has learnt me that once the work is completed, I want to start another project....

I do enjoy the spanners and the engineering more than driving it, I guess.

Based on the current progress, I guess in 2019 or 2020 it could be finished.

We will certainly come to the UK, once completed, so hope to meet several of you on a club meeting then!

Best regards,

Waldi