Photo

engine and gearbox installation in car, what items can be installed prior to lifting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 784 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hi all,

the restauration of my 1970 CP TR6 is progressing steady, albeit at a slow rate.

I have now completed the engine rebuild, and want to install the Engine +GB+OD+ starter motor as a complete unit in the car; the body is already installed on the chassis; front wings and bonnet are not.

Due to my medical condition, I want to install as much as possible of the ancilaries to the engine before lifting the assemply in the car.

I have looked at the internet and found the starter motor and exhaust manifold (less the down pipes) can be installed prior to lifting, and so can the dynamo (alternator).

I want to install the exhaust downpipes, oil filter and its adapter (for screw-on K&N filter) after installation of the engine/GB in the car.

I have free access from the inside, (no tunnel, seats etc), have an engine hoits and spreader and supports to lift the back of the car by 20-30 cm.

Also, the front cross tube will be removed.

And I do not have the mechancial fan and extension, so that helps a bit.

Now my question: Would it also be possible to install the  CP throttle bodies and linkages, less the air plenum?

And what about the MU and ignition and clutch slave cyclinder?

Best regards,

Waldi

#2 colin3511

colin3511
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Hi Waldi,

Just done exactly that.

You can fit distributor, MU along with pipes, coil, water pump and throttle bodies and linkage. You need to get to the engine mount so it might be easier to leave the linkage off. I assume you have got the bonnet and radiator off.

It's a bit of a faff but not too bad. You really need two people to guide it under the bulkhead. Also jack the back of the car up as high as you can, as this keeps the engine/gearbox assembly level (ish). 

It's a big lump and swings, so be careful of that bulkhead!

Good luck.

Colin

#3 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 784 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Hi Colin,
Thank you.
Within 10 minutes an answer on a question I did not find on the www after 1 hr of searching, it is hard to beat this forum👍.
I have friends that come and help me, and we will raise the back as far as possible.
Best regards,
Waldi

#4 RogerH

RogerH
  • TR Register Members
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

Raising the back up is a great idea. Wish I had done it on the 4A engine transplant.

Roger

Time is a drug - Too much will kill you
Forgive your enemy, but remember the ass-hole's name.
never surrender, never give up and always balance your butterflies

Veni Vidi Flati
TR4A - July 1967 daily driver         2010 RBRR No.22  2014 RBRR No.69
TR4 - March 1962 transforming like the proverbial caterpillar - it's now Royal Blue and now with the chromy bits.

#5 Rob Salisbury

Rob Salisbury
  • TR Register Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

Depending on the type of lifting equipment you have one of the adjustable level-ing bars is very useful as the combined unit has to, initially, go into the bay at quite a steep angle so that it can clear both the bulkhead and the front chassis crossmember.

Cheers Rob  

#6 barkerwilliams

barkerwilliams
  • TR Register Members
  • 1,221 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6 PI, Stag, Thoroughbred Race Horse, John Deere

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

Re self leveling bar.

I found best to set the bar right to one end then adjust lengths of lifting links to level the engine so that you can adjust to even more of an extreme angle needed to slip in nicely.

And raise the rear of the car if possible.

Alan

People of character do the right thing even if no one else does, not because they think it will change the world but because they refuse to be changed by the world.

#7 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hi Rob and Alan,
I have this leveling thingy and bringing the leveler to one side is a good hint!
Thanks,
Waldi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users