4a/5/6 softtop differences

Just bought a good TR4a softtop frame. I plan to experiment to get this working to my TR4.

So I am looking for a good softtop now and was wondering what differences there are between the 4a/5/6 softtops? If these are only minor then maybe the search is easier for a TR6 top?

post-2169-0-72404500-1531394609_thumb.jpg

Edited by badhuis

There is difference over the side window area as the 5/6 one has a Velcro strip to attach to the frame.and a 6 one would ave a zip out rear window.

Stuart.

Don’t forget that the bodywork changed from TR4 to TR4a in order to allow the later hood frame to fit and work.

The changes were to the rear deck forward sections which are ‘scalloped’ on the TR4a onwards.

A later frame won’t fit a TR4 without the later rear deck forward panels.

David

Don’t forget that the bodywork changed from TR4 to TR4a in order to allow the later hood frame to fit and work.

The changes were to the rear deck forward sections which are ‘scalloped’ on the TR4a onwards.

A later frame won’t fit a TR4 without the later rear deck forward panels.

David

That is where the experiment phase fits in. I am not planning to switch over to the 4a deck but instead try to see if I can get the 4a frame made to fit. Maybe I need an extra hinge at the mounting points or something like that.

Can you tell in a bit more detail what this "scalloped" means?

Unless your TR4 is still fitted with its original forward deck extensions (rare) then they will have more than likely have been replaced with the later 4a type anyway as the original 4 ones havent been available in a very very long time.

Stuart.

Unless your TR4 is still fitted with its original forward deck extensions (rare) then they will have more than likely have been replaced with the later 4a type anyway as the original 4 ones havent been available in a very very long time.

Stuart.

I suppose it still has the original panels (and original interior) as it never has been apart.

I suppose it still has the original panels (and original interior) as it never has been apart.

In that case you really would find it very difficult to fit the 4a frame Im afraid.

Stuart.