Diff output coupling.

I found this interesting coupling repair when removing the diff for bridge reinforcing, someone carried out a temporary repair that should have had a replacement fitted asap.

Paul

post-13797-0-51460400-1531380944_thumb.jpgpost-13797-0-29821300-1531380964_thumb.jpg

Sort of repair I would have had done when I was driving my TR6 in the 80's as a 20 something with little money.. Probably been like it for years I suspect!

I found this interesting coupling repair when removing the diff for bridge reinforcing, someone carried out a temporary repair that should have had a replacement fitted asap.

Paul

attachicon.gifIMG_1937.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_1938.jpg

Hi Paul,

My suspicions are that was done when removing the stub axle from the drive hub to replace the oil seal, with a big hammer? As they can be a b--------! on one occasion, with the stub axle clamped in the vice and my hydraulic puller on full load- 10 tons/ sq in. There was an all mighty crack and the puller took off and nearly hit the ceiling, always use a hydraulic axle puller as you get cold welding on the taper! From then on I always put an old bath towel over it to restrain it.

Bruce.

Hmm nice bodge, add that to the list with the rest then Paul.

Stuart.

The more I look the more I see!

Decided to lift the tub off the chassis now Stuart need to see if there is anything else lurking in the depths, pity really as all else above seems quite fine. Home market car so has seen a few winters.

Paul

Wow Paul. How long has that been in use for?

Not sure Sean, there is quite a history file with the car but nothing mentioned of a coupling repair, I wonder why.

Paul

Hi Paul,

My suspicions are that was done when removing the stub axle from the drive hub to replace the oil seal, with a big hammer? As they can be a b--------! on one occasion, with the stub axle clamped in the vice and my hydraulic puller on full load- 10 tons/ sq in. There was an all mighty crack and the puller took off and nearly hit the ceiling, always use a hydraulic axle puller as you get cold welding on the taper! From then on I always put an old bath towel over it to restrain it.

Bruce.

I think you could be right Bruce, I can see no reason for a fracture like that in normal use. I pulled it off with 2 x 7/16" bolts, a strong back and a propane torch before it gave up.

Paul

The more I look the more I see!

Decided to lift the tub off the chassis now Stuart need to see if there is anything else lurking in the depths, pity really as all else above seems quite fine. Home market car so has seen a few winters.

Paul

Yes you mentioned that the other night. Be interesting to see what the top of the trailing arm sections to chassis rail joints are like!

Stuart.