Car dies PI problem

When the engine roared into life (hurrah), it STILL ticked over like an old dog. Reference was then made to one of my kind respondents who suggested, what I scarcely credited, that the breaker gap, if narrowed, could be causing the symptoms I originally described. Absolutely right! The gap was at about 005. Increasing it to about 020 (will look now up what it should be- points are so shabbily made that wider adjustment not possible) completely cured it. The car now seems fantastic, revs like a lion, ticks over like a lamb, in which condition I hope it will stay. It could be, therefore, that after spending about a grand on bits and leaning over the bonnet for about 30 hours, I could have saved all that trouble by 2 minutes with the feeler gauge. Ack . Looking on the bright side, I am sure that at least my restorations will ensure trouble free wind-in-the-hair (or over the hat) motoring into the sunset.. Thank you all again for your generous support.

Mark, You're welcome, I'd seen the symptoms before. You may see them agan if the plastic tip is dry of grease...I use moly. Peter

Glad to hear of your success Mark, even if it came at some expense. Rule I follow these days is always start with the easiest and cheapest things to change.

Cheers, Darren

That's good to have the positive conclusion, if nothing else you've renewed a few critical components and learnt a lot about your new car. And if a few injectors are leaking they are all probably needing refurbishment or replacement anyhow.

Hi Mark

Another thing that came to light while reading your issues is while helping a friend restoring his 6 a few years ago we had the same issue which turned out to be a crushed/squashed fuel pipe in the boot where a rubber joint connected to a metal/copper pipe this aloud the car to start then die due to starvation it took some finding but once found and corrected the car is still running fine and no further expense ?

bluebob