what is this please

Pete,

If you have this:

Be carefull with the insulation.

Might contain asbestos.

Waldi

Inside of a surrey top. Insulation more likely to be some sort of foam. No need for asbestos in roof. The vinyl usually is in sections with wire frame behind holding into steel roof. If you decide to make a new vinyl liner using old one as a pattern then DO NOT mark it out in biro. The ink will go into the vinyl and be impossible to remove. I made this mistake (marking back of fabric with biro) and ink marks came through over weeks later. Only solution was to respray vinyl with vinyl paint (from Halfords). Work of art relining a steel surrey top requiring some skill with a sewing machine and exact measurements to get a good fit.

Regards

Keith

Thanks to all for their help, the item is a top section of a surrey the owner didn't know that and things became complex.

The roof is with the 250 I have bought so all is I hope OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I think the insulation is probably Kapok. Quite old fashioned but still in use.

As it s a USA car it is probably to keep the heat out.

Roger

I have never heard of Kapok,, so googled it, quite an interesting plant amazed me anyway, but easily done these days!

https://www.textileschool.com/183/kapok-or-capok-fibres/