Put some miles on the TR3 and it runs much better.

A very hot spell leads me to wish the 3A would do better mpg. It went to a local sports car garage and the SU tuner had his own way for the adjustment of the needles in the SU H6. It ran very smoothly and off to Lincoln and back. The roads are rough, crowded and the M11 north of junction 14 was a huge building plot with a 1 hour traffic jam.At the show my friend balanced the two carbs with a Gunson balancing tool and then checked the mixture with 4x colortunes. On the return journey we are over 30mpg. :):)

Rest days before setting off for CLM The son-in-law cancelled at the last moment so drive alone from Lewes to Portsmouth, meet the friends and ferry across the channel to Caen, Quiet drive to Le Mans on beautiful empty roads without traffic or potholes.. On arrival the s-i-l calls to confirm a late start and an independent journey to Portsmouth and then Caen. So erect the tent and back up north to collect him and drive down a second time. This time I find the entrance first time. England win the match and the new inflatable bed works first time. fabulous race cars and lots of French registered Triumph cars.

An excellent two days with amazing cars and atmosphere. Set off on Sunday lunchtime to drive to Dieppe for a booked crossing to Newhaven and home early !!! Caught the ferry and arrived in Newhaven about 50 yrds from the dock.when we are informed that something on the landside ramp is broken and we have to turn around and have to return to Dieppe.

Arrive back and leave immediately for Calais to Dover ferry. Check in at 03.59 ,leave at 04.15 and back home by 08.30. In all a 20 hour trip and crossed the channel three times in one journey.. The car runs very well but did get hot once. Why does the tick over need adjusting after a very hot traffic queue for the boat ?

Back in the garden the engine is smooth and there is no need to adjust the carbs any more. A mileage check every time we fill up gives some good figures. One fill of French best giving high thirties for casual cruising.

So, tune it x2, drive just under 1,500 miles in a week and the car is running very well and reliable hot starting. The owner is totally worn out. Triumph wins again :)

Glad it all worked out OK Richard.

The tickover gets slow when stuck in traffic because the under bonnet temperatures get much higher than normal, & so the carbs are drawing in hot, less dense air, & the mixture get richer. Mine does the same as do most other TR's. The solution is to provide a source of colder air from in front of the rad. Something on my "to do when I get round to it" list.

I averaged 38MPG this year on the Leatherhead - Lincoln round trip not bad considering the M25 was a car park on the way up !

Glad you enjoyed Le Mans must go sometime.

Bob.

Bob

I swapped my radiator this year ( like for like except no starter hole) and decided to add a carb cool air feed.

I did have to cut the fibreboard cowl tho !

Its been so hot this year tho I presume it makes a difference (esp when moving)

H

I was going to up load some pics for you but I get this message

You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 32MB)

Doesnt appear to be a sizing issue. As it just says - is not allowed-

I always could before off my iphone

:-(

Hi Richard,

Lebro is correct, tick over appears to get slower or erratic on both my cars cars one with SU's & the other with Webers, in my experience. Even with an electric fan they seem to get 'lumpy' in traffic, especially in hot weather. I also have a air inlet to the Webers but they still do not like slow traffic very much.

Cheers.

Hi Richard

They still hadn’t fixed the ramp yesterday, but luckily they sent us straight up to Calais.

A nightmare 3 hour trip home from Dover - part of the M20 closed and lots of roadworks on M25

Glad you had a good time though

Cheers

Nigel

I was going to up load some pics for you but I get this message

You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 32MB)

Doesnt appear to be a sizing issue. As it just says - is not allowed-

I always could before off my iphone

:-(

Hi Hamish,

keep your pic size to about 100Kb and it should well.

Roger

Unfortunately when you are in traffic the cold air feed stops working. I get the slowing down in traffic too even with the cold air feed. I wonder if a 12v computer fan in the trunking would work.

Hi Bob,

Ben used a fancy inline fan with some nice ducting. I bought the same but haven't fitted it yet.

Can't remember where I got it from.

I thought it may be Merlin Motorsport but their site doesn't show it.

Roger

Yes Roger, I was typing this (and taking pictures as you posted!)

I have installed a 3" fan and trunking to Geoffrey following our vaporisation issues last summer on the Paris-Prague. I got the fan (I call it the "bilge pump" - but infact it is a ventilation fan for bilges.) Anyway I was going to get the Revotec version but the nice man at Merlin Motorsport demonstrated that the cheaper, plastic version actually huffed considerably more air. I have it direct wired (fused) to a switch under the dash which I operate when we are in a queue. No grumpy, lumpy tickover in stationary traffic anymore!

The fan is mounted on a bracket on the inside of the airduct infront of the radiator (Yes, you can see it if you peer behind the grill). The other end of the duct wafts cooler air over the carburettors very effectively.

post-13503-0-74016700-1531335351_thumb.jpg, post-13503-0-12314700-1531335336_thumb.jpg, post-13503-0-95658000-1531335318_thumb.jpg

I have installed a 3" fan and trunking to Geoffrey following our vaporisation issues last summer on the Paris-Prague. I got the fan (I call it the "bilge pump" - but infact it is a ventilation fan for bilges.) Anyway I was going to get the Revotec version but the nice man at Merlin Motorsport demonstrated that the cheaper, plastic version actually huffed considerably more air. I have it direct wired (fused) to a switch under the dash which I operate when we are in a queue. No grumpy, lumpy tickover in stationary traffic anymore!

The fan is mounted on a bracket on the inside of the airduct infront of the radiator (Yes, you can see it if you peer behind the grill). The other end of the duct wafts cooler air over the carburettors very effectively.

attachicon.gifWP_20180710_09_27_17_Pro.jpg, attachicon.gifWP_20180710_09_26_17_Pro.jpg, attachicon.gifWP_20180710_09_25_51_Pro.jpg

I've seen a similar set up on a TR here in Holland. Clever solution. I can't find a pic, but yours is exactly what I wanted to show.

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Hi Bob,

Ben used a fancy inline fan with some nice ducting. I bought the same but haven't fitted it yet.

Can't remember where I got it from.

I thought it may be Merlin Motorsport but their site doesn't show it.

Roger

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/3-inch-76mm-diameter-in-line-blower-fan-cwp140

This the one ?

Bob.

P.S.

Just ordered one, plus some expensive ducting :o

I intend to wire mine to come on at the same time as the Revotech fan

Edited by Lebro

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/3-inch-76mm-diameter-in-line-blower-fan-cwp140

This the one ?

Bob.

Yes, that's the baby! I bought 1m of duct which is plenty and a large jubilee clip

My TR2 is a daily driver and club car. If they get used all the time they just keep going.

We obviously get pretty hot down here and the idle suffers. Warm in normal use she idles steadily at 800rpm, when hot say after a long high speed drive the idle is a bit lumpy and down to 700rpm. On the really hot days, over 40degC, she gets very lumpy and idle drops to 600rpm. Nothing to do for it on those +40degC days but blip the throttle at the lights/in traffic.

Edited by John McCormack

When slowing to a halt after a long hot run I have got in the habit of pulling the 4A choke out by 1/4", this gives the required rise in idle speed without any actual mixture enrichment.

Tim

attachicon.gifWP_20180710_09_27_17_Pro.jpg, attachicon.gifWP_20180710_09_26_17_Pro.jpg, attachicon.gifWP_20180710_09_25_51_Pro.jpg

Just finished installing mine, a differant approach to Ben as I think my front metalwork is different. my fan is strapped to the horn, with flex ducting going forward & rearward. Seems to produce quite a draft !

post-12009-0-33461600-1531650839_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-00356900-1531650845_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-17074100-1531650854_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-46846700-1531650864_thumb.jpg

Bob.

Just finished installing mine, a differant approach to Ben as I think my front metalwork is different. my fan is strapped to the horn, with flex ducting going forward & rearward. Seems to produce quite a draft !

attachicon.gif20180715_111937.jpg attachicon.gif20180715_111951.jpg attachicon.gif20180715_112008.jpg attachicon.gif20180715_112228.jpg

Bob.

Hi Bob,any alterations to the Carbs using that Setup?

Nice one Bob; more than one way to skin a cat! My apron has a inner flange/duct that I fixed the fan to but I can see some logic in moving the fan inboard as you have done to protect it from the elements. I have no horns (another molestation that Geoffrey has endured over the years!) to conveniently attach the fan to in the position you have used.

I may do a more permanant attachment in due course, but this is quite solid, & will do for now to see how well it works.

1st test will be Wednesday when I will be down at the Amberley Chalk Pit museum, bound to hit some traffic on the way.

Bob.

attachicon.gif20180715_111937.jpg attachicon.gif20180715_111951.jpg attachicon.gif20180715_112008.jpg attachicon.gif20180715_112228.jpg

Bob.

g

Not surprised its drafty. 3.8m3/min is all the air needed for running at 3800rpm on a 2lt engine. Isn't it? Tick-overkill? :) perhaps divert some to the footwell for those heatwaves.