Heater Valve Extension Pipe Leak TR3a

I have a leak from the extension pipe where the pipe joins the brass fitting that screws into the heater valve. I've removed the extension pipe and find that it was loose where it slides onto the spigot of the screw fitting and was easy to pull off. Can anyone tell me how these two parts are supposed to be fixed together in order that I can repair it?

thanks Tim

I used one of Moss's pipe assembly to install a heater in my TR3A. Mine was certainly not welded just a tight interference fit. I thought it a bit of a bodge.

Tim, some loctite sealer or similar should do the trick. Hopefully Roger will be along to advise!

I fitted one of these from a Morris Minor. Had to use slightly longer hose. Screwed it into a Tr 5 heater valve tube I had kicking around the garage.

http://www.leacyclassics.com/88g588.html

Peter W

For what its worth my car had no valve at all when I first acquired it-the heater was on all the time. A Moss sourced value was installed. The valve-pipe has never leaked (ptfe or most likely a plumbing sealant saw to that). The main problem was the hose-extension pipe interface which parted company in spectacular fashion. I used a file to roughen the extension pipe end and refitted the hose and really tightened the jubilee clip!. No issues since. Glad I had a file in the car when it happened (and some extra coolant).

Edited by Ben Freer

Thanks very much for your replies. I've cleaned up the two parts of the extension pipe and will try and solder the steel pipe to the brass fitting today. I will use ptfe tape on the threaded portion as suggested. I looked at using one of the loctite sealers but the clearance between the spigot on the brass fitting and the internal diameter of the steel pipe is too large for this to work effectively.

Tim

All fixed, steel extension pipe soldered to the brass fitting with no real problems. Heated everything on the kitchen stove and then used the soldering iron to melt the solder into the joint. Been out for a run and all nice and dry.

Tim