Headlight Rim/Bezel

I'm trying to sort out a load of teething troubles and make some finishing touches...….right now I can's seem to be able to fit the headlight rims.

Please see attached photos, I've tried manipulating the outer rim over the metal bowl rim but it's not happening, are the inner & outer rims I have compatible, am I missing some clips or something similar.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Richard.

post-6267-0-90965200-1531066433_thumb.jpg

post-6267-0-90079500-1531066482_thumb.jpg

post-6267-0-57549000-1531066523_thumb.jpg

Are those the push on ones Richard.

I ordered complete units from tr shop and they supplied push on rims.

Not fitted yet but having played with them they seem a real pain.

Thinking of changing for screw on type.

Good luck Mark

Hi Richard,

I had exactly the same issue and mine came as a complete kit. Turned out there are some under size bezels out there that simply won't fit. Supplier exchanged them and everything went together easily.

Colin

Thanks Mark & Colin,

I'm assuming they're the push-on type due to the absence of a hole for a screw...….this project was 10yrs in the making, can't for the life of me remember how long ago I bought them, if I bought it all as part of a kit and which supplier I bought them from.

Should I buy replacement push-on rims, or if the inner rim can accommodate can I buy the screw-on type???

Richard.

I recently replaced my push on rims and they were much harder to fit than the original ones, I think there is less give in the clip.

Eventually I got them on but it required lots of patience.

You need to position the rim so the spring clip is in the retainer on the headlight or very close to it so when you rotate the rim it clips in.

Daz

Hi Richard

What a coincidence, just fitted my rings/bezels this week end.

Now there are two ring and two clips types, at least.

I know this as err I’ve got one of each.

So one is a push on spring clip and one is a screw on. Both clips secure by sitting behind the metal headlight bowl with two small prongs pointing outwards and locating in a couple of holes in the bowl rim. The spring bit and tang with the screw hole point outwards as well allowing you to firmly push on the spring rims or screw the screw through to rim into the tang. It looks like your clip is correctly located so no worries there.

Now looking at your pics the ring is a push on, as you say no hole but in image two it looks like the clip is a screw on as the pointy out bit is flat and not curved black spring steel. It looks like it has a hole so that may be the issue.

I’d post some pics of mine but they are now sitting on the car. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Richard

What a coincidence, just fitted my rings/bezels this week end.

Now there are two ring and two clips types, at least.

I know this as err I’ve got one of each.

So one is a push on spring clip and one is a screw on. Both clips secure by sitting behind the metal headlight bowl with two small prongs pointing outwards and locating in a couple of holes in the bowl rim. The spring bit and tang with the screw hole point outwards as well allowing you to firmly push on the spring rims or screw the screw through to rim into the tang. It looks like your clip is correctly located so no worries there.

Now looking at your pics the ring is a push on, as you say no hole but in image two it looks like the clip is a screw on as the pointy out bit is flat and not curved black spring steel. It looks like it has a hole so that may be the issue.

I’d post some pics of mine but they are now sitting on the car. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith,

That does help, it would seem I need a pair of good quality screw-on rims......any recommendations?

Richard.

Richard.

Ahh the PITA of headlamp rims on later TR's.

I did this section of the catalogue (I always copped the Lucas stuff as I have that sort of mind)

See items 20 onwards here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/lighting/headlamps-driving-lamps-tr5-6.html

The option with the screwed on rim is probably the nicest and most positive fitment.

Using the original type rim (as you have pictured) with the silly tag you will need BAU1460TR clip. If your tag has rusted off use BAU1460 which is a simple spring affair that grips the inner profile of the rim. You will need an extractor 'tool' (bit of bent metal) to pull the rim off once installed unless you hate your paintwork.

Enjoy.....

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Richard

Having one of each not sure i have that much of a preference and depends on budget and the quality of the bezels you have, mine are old , well prior to 1990.

If you have clip on rims far more cost effective to get the right spring clips. Both are available and pic's are at this link.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=bau1460.

Interestingly for ages i couldn't work out how it all went together until i realised i had 2 diff bezels and clips, doh.

Cheers

Keith

• 2 months later...

I've arrived back at this problem again, still no success.

I received 2 x headlight rims (now returned to supplier) which I was told are definitely for a TR6.  Once the supplier received the returned items he compared them with his other stock TR6 rims and they're identical.

Attached is 2 photos with the rim in place. I can't recall where I bought the headlamp bowls & retainers from, but I'm pretty sure they're correct???

Can anyone take a look a tell me what's going wrong?

20180914_165743.jpg

20180916_204501.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, Richard71 said:

Thanks Mark & Colin,

I'm assuming they're the push-on type due to the absence of a hole for a screw...….this project was 10yrs in the making, can't for the life of me remember how long ago I bought them, if I bought it all as part of a kit and which supplier I bought them from.

Should I buy replacement push-on rims, or if the inner rim can accommodate can I buy the screw-on type???

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Over the years I have had right fun and games with these clip on type. The main problem that I found was the rubber seal that is behind the head lamp bowl.If the pop rivets are on very tight they can squash the rubber seal too tight, which stops the rim from seating deep enough. What I have had to do in the past is to put a sear of Vaseline on the top edge of the seal between the bowl and rubber. This helps the seating of the rim deep enough,  when you push down on the top of the rim before pushing the bottom into the clip. Good line up essential!  Otherwise you will be cursing and swearing!

Bruce.

6 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

Thanks Bruce,

Fitting them wasn't my problem. Have a look at my pics, it's how they end up looking, the smaller circumference that's meant to fit around the retainer ring appears too large....something somewhere is way way off.

Richard.

Richard,

I have looked at your pictures and had a look at mine on my car! I have 2 to 3mm clearance between the inner and outer rim! Looking at your first picture it appears that it might be not latched on properly at the top apart from the large clearance. I still have my originals made by Joe Lucas have you compared your new ones with your originals? The second picture, the Lucas lens may not be centred properly. Has the beam been correctly Zeroed? In the past I have used a piece of soft wood to centre the outer rim properly!  

Thanks Bruce,

The first photo is me just holding it in place, the second is with the rim firmly clipped and held in with the self-tapper.  I haven't had any headlight alignment done, but even so, should there really be 2-3mm clearance between the inner & outer rims?  I forgot to mention, I no longer have the originals.

Richard.

Richard,

As mentioned before there are two types out there. If you have the wrong inner that would explain why you have such a difference in diameters. I had similar issue but I couldn't get the inner retainer over the headlamp.

You need to track back to source.

Colin

1 hour ago, Richard71 said:

Thanks Bruce,

The first photo is me just holding it in place, the second is with the rim firmly clipped and held in with the self-tapper.  I haven't had any headlight alignment done, but even so, should there really be 2-3mm clearance between the inner & outer rims?  I forgot to mention, I no longer have the originals.

Richard.

40 minutes ago, colin3511 said:

Richard,

As mentioned before there are two types out there. If you have the wrong inner that would explain why you have such a difference in diameters. I had similar issue but I couldn't get the inner retainer over the headlamp.

You need to track back to source.

Colin

Richard, I measured the gaps with a Mitutoyo Vernier so my figures are correct. I see Colin in his post has questioned the diameter of the inner r[m? He may be on to something there?

Thanks Guys,

I'm beginning to think it maybe a comedy of errors, mis-matched parts etc. The rivets fastening the bowl to the body as Bruce suggested maybe too tight and not helping things at all. I'll drill them out tomorrow, (that'll be fun I think I used stainless rivets) I'll try with a deliberate mis-match using another headlamp assembly kit.

Thanks again, will update......

17 hours ago, Richard71 said:

Thanks Guys,

I'm beginning to think it maybe a comedy of errors, mis-matched parts etc. The rivets fastening the bowl to the body as Bruce suggested maybe too tight and not helping things at all. I'll drill them out tomorrow, (that'll be fun I think I used stainless rivets) I'll try with a deliberate mis-match using another headlamp assembly kit.

Thanks again, will update......

Richard,

The use of S/S rivets will compress the rubber seal more than the usual Ali type. The break point is much higher with S/S than Ali. and therefore more compression of the rubber seal Triumph used Ali. ones! This maybe is where part of your problem lies.

Bruce.