I am undertaking a complete rebuild of TS3732O, a September 1954 long door. Once finished I will probably need to sell it as I already have a TR2, a TR6 and a yacht. My wife has only so much patience.

I would be interested in an idea of what these cars are actually selling for in the UK and Europe where they are much more sought after than they are here. I have looked at the advertisements but am not sure if asking and selling prices are different beasts.

The car was imported to Australia from the factory and soon after its original owner bought it to Sydney where it was raced until 1966. The 2nd owner started a restoration but got distracted with other cars, bikes and family.

He restarted the work about 10 years ago and after fitting new floors, getting the panels beautifully aligned, acquiring many new parts and completely rebuilding the engine he got ill and couldn't finish the job. He rang me and subsequently I bought the car to do a full concours restoration (I say full concours but that will depend on my ability to source the right bits and if we discover any issues).

It will be in its original birth certificate signal red, brown leather and fawn weather equipment.

It will be a 'new' car when finished with the original bits like starter solenoid etc provided with the car. It has 60 spoke wires (acceptable for concours here) with Dunlop Roadspeeds and 5 body colour steel wheels with road radial tyres.

It has an original wiring loom, bought by the previous owner in 1967 and stored in its original packaging. It is in perfect condition now. Original tripod headlights in good condition.

The chassis has been finished in POR15 (KBS Coatings here) with all new brakes, suspension, shock absorbers, rebuilt original steering (Revington top on the box). It is a matching numbers car having only been used for 11 years.

It currently has a high port head but a low port is on its way. We ran the engine in the chassis and it ran very nicely with 70 psi oil pressure cold and hot and no noises. The previous owner spent $7,000 on the engine 5 years ago. It is effectively a new engine.

The gearbox and diff (Lockheed) have been overhauled.

A few photos attached.

I will be finishing the restoration and then probably offering the car for sale. I would appreciate any feedback on actual sales of this sort of car.

post-9306-0-29863700-1531047633_thumb.jpg

post-9306-0-50565500-1531047654_thumb.jpg

post-9306-0-97128500-1531047679_thumb.jpg

post-9306-0-74481500-1531047704_thumb.jpg

Edited by John McCormack

I’ll start the Ball Rolling at £40/45,000 if it’s as good as your saying,don’t forget about the Japanese Market for RHD Cars and high end Collectors.

I'll be in Dublin in August. Is there anything on with TRs?

I'll be in Dublin in August. Is there anything on with TRs?

Drop me a PM with your TRavel arrangements and where your staying I’ll see what I can arrange but beware some of us will be in the U.K. at Oulton Park for the Bank Holiday Weekend at the end of August,Cheers.

John

That looks as though it shall be a stunning car! Congratulations, and hope the rest of its’re-birth’ goes without a hitch.

Cheers

Ian

I’ll start the Ball Rolling at £40/45,000 if it’s as good as your saying,don’t forget about the Japanese Market for RHD Cars and high end Collectors.

I have seen some long doors advertised in the UK and Europe in the 50-75,000 euro region. They are in broadly similar condition to how I expect mine will turn out.

https://www.classic-trader.com/au/cars/listing/triumph/tr-2/tr-2/1954/137649

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/triumph-tr2-582518

Do you feel these are actually selling for the £45,000 mark?

Hi John that first Link looks like that Car is in Italy but will it sell for that Price it’s also LHD so suitable for for the European Market so a bigger Customer Base.

The Second One is RHD and at £57,000 I would think expensive,Dealers seem to ask for Big Money but do they actually Sell at the Advertised Price,if you scroll down on the second link I think the prices are more realistic,just my opinion.

Hi John that first Link looks like that Car is in Italy but will it sell for that Price it’s also LHD so suitable for for the European Market so a bigger Customer Base.

The Second One is RHD and at £57,000 I would think expensive,Dealers seem to ask for Big Money but do they actually Sell at the Advertised Price,if you scroll down on the second link I think the prices are more realistic,just my opinion.

Yep, dealers will always build a fair bit of fat in to give them bargaining power.

I have seen a fair few RHD cars advertised at high prices, two a couple of months ago one for 80,000 euro and one for 85,000 pds. I would expect maybe 20% fat built in to these prices.

I don't think estimating overpricing by dealers is a good gauge of prices. The long-door TR2 that went up for auction (TS 3044 at Charterhouse auctions) got a high bid of 16k pounds, which was even below estimate of 18 - 20k. I think there is some softness in the market right now.

Dan

I don't think estimating overpricing by dealers is a good gauge of prices. The long-door TR2 that went up for auction (TS 3044 at Charterhouse auctions) got a high bid of 16k pounds, which was even below estimate of 18 - 20k. I think there is some softness in the market right now.

Dan

Agree that dealers prices are not the best guide, nor are private seller advertised asking prices. The best guide is information on actual sale prices.

However, that Charterhouse car is very rough and non original in a number of areas (brakes and high port head for starters). In reality it probably requires a body off rebuild. 16,000 pds was a very good price for it. I paid 7,000 pds equivalent for a better more original car, although a non driver partially rebuilt.

Edited by John McCormack

It was my car that sold at Charterhouse, the car was sound and a good driveable car, but it was a barn find some 8 years ago and I "recommissioned" it, but it was by no means a "restoration", I spent £7000 on it, plus a rebuilt engine that I had in stock. We all know that a restoration could cost 7 times that.

There were some previous works done for the PO, which although sound weren't very pretty.

The reserve was £18000, and I accepted £17000 after the auction. I think the retail value of the car could be in the region of £22000, but as I had to sell fairly quickly I was happy with the result.

In my opinion a well restored car would still be lucky to achieve the low 30Ks in the UK.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

re. values on TR2s, our club members have recent experiences of both buying & selling TR2s.

We'll chat about this when we meet in Dublin next month.

Happy TRip across the equator.

Pat

Hi John,

re. values on TR2s, our club members have recent experiences of both buying & selling TR2s.

We'll chat about this when we meet in Dublin next month.

Happy TRip across the equator.

Pat

Hi Pat. We are currently up north in Mt Stewart for a few days. I have been in touch with Jackie and we will head to Letterkenny via Armagh on Wednesday to drop in to his workshop.

I'll call you tomorrow to say hello, if my sim card is working, I have had a problem or two but think it is ok now.

Hi Pat. We are currently up north in Mt Stewart for a few days. I have been in touch with Jackie and we will head to Letterkenny via Armagh on Wednesday to drop in to his workshop.

I'll call you tomorrow to say hello, if my sim card is working, I have had a problem or two but think it is ok now.

Say Hi to Jackie for me

Peter W