Is this a record? Water pump failure

To follow on, a premium part suggests something better than standard.

I'd like to think that a standard replacement was just that, made to the original standard, such as you would have bought during the model's currency from the main dealer.

A premium part would offer something over and above the original standard.

Perhaps I'm delusional?!

Regards

Bill

What you call the items is not really of importance Bill but I do agree with the sentiment - it would be more correct to refer to 'standard' and 'sub-standard' parts but no retailer is going to label their goods as the latter.

The problem is that the better and more expensive parts will only be available as long as people are prepared to buy them in sufficient numbers to make it viable. No retailer is going to stock them otherwise.

Michael in post 22 above mentioned Mercedes bits - the difference there being that MB are still in business and still provide some spares for older cars. Triumph is long gone so there is no-one setting or maintaining the standard (or should that be Standard?) for us.

It is all a little about how the psychology of the buyer is changing. We are just coming back from the le mans classic and noticed that we didn't see a single rusty car. 8 years ago when we first went the majority were rusty. This is related to the value of these cars. Even spitfires fetch good money. Now rather than spending the minimum to keep the car going as it wasn't worth much people are investing in cars on the back of rising values. This means they want decent parts. My pal who has a stag now considers an original engine a good thing to have. 8 years ago they were an expensive liability. I think the market can take premium parts now.

I used to have a lotus elan and obviously the values were moving up quickly. People became very picky about parts quality.

Cheers

Tim

FWIW, just spoke to "Paul" at EP Services and he quoted £38+Vat + postage for a TR6 pump and £48+ Vat +postage for a 4 pot pump, all with a lifetime guarantee.

Hope this helps - no connection other than a satisfied customer

Cheers

Rich

As to a record for failure of a pump, one of our local group had one fail immediately he started the car after fitting a new County pump.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-44367500-1531149465_thumb.jpg
post-3753-0-99269800-1531149448_thumb.jpg

t - it would be more correct to refer to 'standard' and 'sub-standard' parts but no retailer is going to label their goods as the latter.

Hi Rob,

in the world of standards - especially USA standards - 'the' standard is a thing that should not be used for everyday 'standarding'

For the everyday you use a 'sub-standard'. This is identical to the standard but will eventually wear away and be binned.

One standard, lots of sub-standards = all very good.

Roger

Aah - but you are talking technical Roger - National standards / working standards / transfer standards / traceability etc. etc. I am aware of that usage having been concerned with calibration and ISO 17025. I wuz talking retail...... B)