Is this a record? Water pump failure

I have posted the litany of issues I have had with this car since I bought it in March, today the water pump decided to fail, I only fitted it in April, 3 months, thats terrible. I have emailed the supplier to see what they will do but this is ridiculous. I have owned 14 Triumphs, this the first TR however, it will certainly be my last, I have never had as much trouble with a car in all my years of driving and 38 different vehicles!

Edited by iani

I’m running a 7lbs cap, should be right for a ‘69 car I believe.

Hi Iani,

the previous owner has done you no favours. You are now uncovering all the things that should have been sorted.

Do not give up. Once you have corrected the various dodgy bits then the fun starts.

Roger

There is a company in the uk who reconditions original pumps. I have not odered from them but others on this forum have.

I bought a new pump, but will first try the original pump once my resauration is completed, simply because of experiences like yours. Ridiculous, isnt it?

Would be good to fill in the PQI form.

Regards,

Waldi

There is a company in the uk who reconditions original pumps. I have not odered from them but others on this forum have.

I bought a new pump, but will first try the original pump once my resauration is completed, simply because of experiences like yours. Ridiculous, isnt it?

Regards,

Waldi

If mine had come with the original pump I would have had it restored, the replacements are so cheap that it's unlikely they will work for long, I have another on order now, fingers crossed that it's better.

Contact EP Services as they may be able to refurb a repro unit - the basic issue with rubbish repros is the quality of the bearings and seals used and tolerances, all of which can be addressed on rebuilding.

EP Services

Unit 1 Central Trading Estate,
Cable Street, Wolverhampton,
West Midlands, England, WV2 2RJ

Tel: +44 (0)1902 452 914
Fax: +44 (0)1902 871 547
Out Of Hours: +44 (0)7770 747724

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich, I've already emailed the original supplier and will see how they propose to handle this. In any case, I have ordered a new pump from TRGB, hopefully they supply reliable units. Whilst it's an easy job to swap the water pump out, I'm annoyed at having to do it so soon after fitting a new one.

The problem with many, if not most, reproduction parts is that they are part of a race to the bottom on price, and quality is a secondary consideration.

Like most people who have been working on their old cars for a while I try to by NOS where possible and if that's not available I try to get the best quality repro parts. I'd have a look at an original Stanpart pump rebuilt with new bearings and seals.

I supposed that you made sure the belt was aligned and not overtightened when you fitted the new pump?

Contact EP Services as they may be able to refurb a repro unit - the basic issue with rubbish repros is the quality of the bearings and seals used and tolerances, all of which can be addressed on rebuilding.

EP Services

Unit 1 Central Trading Estate,

Cable Street, Wolverhampton,

West Midlands, England, WV2 2RJ

Tel: +44 (0)1902 452 914

Fax: +44 (0)1902 871 547

Out Of Hours: +44 (0)7770 747724

Cheers

Rich

Does anyone know rough costs for a revision of a pump at this company?

I may organize a combined repair to reduce shipping costs from/to Holland for people that are interested.

Thanks,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

I see Mr Moss does two flavours of water pump for the 6 at 40 quid and 52 quid. I’d be intrigued to know what the differences are!

Bought one off TRGB at the International at £34 that included the Gasket,Made by County.

That will be the one I ordered last night then, I’ll keep my eye out for an original and get it reconditioned when I can.

That will be the one I ordered last night then, I’ll keep my eye out for an original and get it reconditioned when I can.

I fitted one of the County Water Pumps about 3yr ago to a TR6 and it hasnt given any problems.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

The current supply of third part water pumps is crap, which seems to affect many other marques as well! Do not throw away your original BL pump! The best solution is to send your own pump off to one of the well known water pump re-conditioners' here in the UK. Mine was in a real state but it came back looking like new, but not cheap? Also it had been pressure tested. I doubt that the third party ones are? In my view its not a PQI part but a spares development task. We will have to see if Roger H. responds?

Bruce.

For anyone interested I had my original waterpump refurbished by SPwaterpumps.com Re-Manufacture your unit @ 75.00Plus Carriage & Vat. More expensive than the cheap County ones that people are taking pot luck at it. My father always told me buy cheap buy twice pay for quality get something nice- it's worked all my life- e.g i paid £800 for a Bosch washing machine now 20 years old only ever had one repair- brushes on the motor wore out- never even had a new belt! - machine is used heavily by family of five!How many washing machines would most families have gone through in 20 years - my friend has had half a dozen- makes my Bosch look cheap in comparison!

I keep reading on these forums of cheap parts breaking or not fit for purpose yet the parts still get sold and nothing happens to sort this out- why? Does not make sense- if all classic car owners stopped buying cheap parts and just had originals refurbed then perhaps we could stop the sale of poor components- who is taking charge of the quality of parts or is it a case of going to trading standards with every poor quality part and letting them investigate? If no one complains to the right authorities this cycle will never stop.

Edited by michaeldavis39

Even if you pay top money for parts the quality is still worse than 5,10 and 15 years ago its no gaurantee I've even bought blue printed parts and had them fail due to skimping with seals etc, everyone is out to save money and I think the actual quality of materials used is now poor eg rubber. NOS is as good as it gets if you can get them and repaired.

While talking Bosch I bought a £900 fridge freezer 4 years ago thinking it would last us 15 years plus; result it died yesterday!

Mine is from TRGB now done 15k Ian without issue, they are pretty good at what they sell and stand by their spares. So shouldn't be any problems.

Mine is from TRGB now done 15k Ian without issue, they are pretty good at what they sell and stand by their spares. So shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks Robin, the new Brake M/cyl they supplied me a few months ago lasted 8 miles, my faith in their quality control is rather diminished I'm afraid.

Ian

Thanks Robin, the new Brake M/cyl they supplied me a few months ago lasted 8 miles, my faith in their quality control is rather diminished I'm afraid.

Ian

Hi Ian,

none of the suppliers have any quality control; they are suppliers.

What was wrong with the Brake M/cy..

There have been failures in the past but that should have been sorted.

Roger

post-13554-0-32993200-1531079286_thumb.jpgpost-13554-0-80196100-1531079294_thumb.jpgMy spare pump is a County too, it came from Revington by the way.

The "feel" when you turn it by hand is ok, and the overall appearance too.

I compared the dimensions of the repro item with the original pump that I will install and noted several differences:

* The Original pump has a brass (or is it bronze) impeller; this in itself will make no difference to the flow but the brass item has a very smooth finish, where the repro impeller is a bit coarser.

Also the dimensions of the impeller differ:

* The original impeller measures 1 mm larger on diameter, this will result in some more flow, but only approx. 3%, as flow is impacted by 2nd power with changes in diameter.

* The repro impellor is more beefy, this may seem good, but it is not, as it reduces the volume per rotation, so the flow rate.

* But worst diffrence is the inner diameter of the "hub", it is larger on the repro, and this restricts flow on the inlet of the pump eye (2nd picture).

To conclude: the repro pump will not only be less reliable, but also will have a reduced flow.

If all other components of the system are in good condition maybe these differences are not an issue, but if radiator, block and pump housing are fouled, this can be the last "push".

We all know how the prices of spare parts are pushed down, but if we are willing to pay 75 pounds (plus VAT) for a reconditioned item, we would probably be willing to pay 100 pounds for a brand new item of good quality (I would).

Getting stranded costs more.

Regards,

Waldi

Waldi the problem is that unfortunately there aren't enough of us who don't mind paying the higher price - if we were talking about Mercedes cars there would never be any mention of cheap poor quality parts I know as I also have an old SL and no one ever talks about cheap on the Mercedes forums. I had a Bosch fridge freezer that lasted only 4 years too though £400 - found out that the model I had was a bad model and none of them lasted strangely so maybe Bosch are no good at making fridges- I was told only made in Germany Bosch white goods were any good- washing machine is German in my case, fridge was made in Spain as are most nowadays.

I've been through a couple of County water pumps; they last 35-50K miles in my experience. When they go bad they either leak or make a noise which sounds like an engine fault. Recent ones come without paint.

I have my original too, but haven't seen a rebuilder surface here in the 'States yet.

Tom

The low cost and hence quality of parts is an interesting one. It is, in part, our fault for looking for a cheap bargain. But once people know a cheap repro part isn't good we look for the premium part that resolves this issue. Just need the suppliers to wake up to the issues and offer those premium parts.

Just need the suppliers to wake up to the issues and offer those premium parts.

​The only issue I can see with this, is that it is a tacit admission that the standard part is, how shall I put this, not very good?

Regards

Bill