A friend of mine who is a TRR member has a TR3A. He wishes to renew the rear wheel studs.

To remove the hubs does this mean removing the halfshafts? If so, does it mean that the shafts will have to be

hydraulically pressed out?

Are the rear hubs cast iron and could they take a tack of weld?

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Tom, as I recall the rear studs are screwed into the hub and then peened over at the back. You may be able to get in there with a grinder without removing the half shaft or the hub to remove the mushroomed over bit of stud and then unscrew them from the front. Worst case pop the half shaft out with the hub attached so you have more elbow room. If I am full of it I am sure someone will correct me.

Stan

As stated above it is much easier to remove the half shafts and work on the bench. Id replace the seals while its apart too.

If you dont remove the hubs from the shafts and replace the and shims shafts back in the sides which they came out then the clearances shouldnt change appreciably.

Big press (20 tons) required to remove half shaft from hub. Remove split pin, loosen nut (but don't remove it unless you are into dangerous sports!), then use press.

Ian Cornish

Stan is right above. Remove the axle from the housing and put the axle and hub on the bench. There should be no reason to remove the hub from the axle. You run the risk of distorting the hub with the force that is sometimes needed to break it free. Some commercial shops will also hit it with the "fire wrench". Not a good idea either, IMO.

Tom