The Trip meter in UOV has never worked since we've had the car, not really a big issue ......except we have signed up for the Silverstone Retro run and have just received the route book, and its all written up as 'in .7 miles turn left' Etc so a working trip meter would be really useful. TR shop are looking to see if they have a replacement unit, but ideally I would like to keep the original speedo with the car and time really doesn't permit getting the original speedo rebuilt professionally.

So anybody out there with a fix ? I've had a very careful peek inside and the problem appears to be that the arm that engages on the brass cog that drives the numbers doesn't appear to be able to advance the numbers on the display, it appears to be going through the motions but as they say 'where the rubber meets the road' or in this case where the 'tooth' meets the brass the 2 do not appear to have enough mechanical interface to increment the milage.

ATB Graham

There should be a small spring pulling the ratchet arm onto the teeth of the ratchet, is that missing ?

other cause is often the lubrication on the mechanism dries out & gets sticky, preventing the arm from moving through it's full arc. Try adding a drop of light oil to the pivot point, & working the arm back & forth.

While your at it may as well do the other side as well.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

There should be a small spring pulling the ratchet arm onto the teeth of the ratchet, is that missing ?

other cause is often the lubrication on the mechanism dries out & gets sticky, preventing the arm from moving through it's full arc. Try adding a drop of light oil to the pivot point, & working the arm back & forth.

While your at it may as well do the other side as well.

Bob.

Hi Bob spring is present but the drums are very stiff to turn

Hi Bob spring is present but the drums are very stiff to turn

Yep, again probably sticky old lubricant. add small drops of light oil (not WD40 !!) to all pivots & spindles, you should be able to get some between the digits by inserting a thin blade in the gaps then dropping oil in the gap. still think main problem is the ratchet arm not pivoting through its full movement.

I would be happy to look at it for you, but you are the wrong side on London, & as you say time is tight !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Graham and Bob.

For a light oil use normal BABY OIL, it is the lightest and does not clog things up. I use it all the time to lubricate my model locomotives on the valve gear and connecting rods. Ideal I think in the odometer.

Dave

Guys many thanks, quick update, after many attempts to oil/clean I did start to get the thing to free up but that little steel arm still wouldn't pull the brass gear wheel round, so took Rogers advice and called JDO from a VERY noisy Silverstone on Saturday morning, by Monday the speedo was off to JDO by Wednesday it was back fixed and fitted in the car !

One less excuse for getting lost on the Retro run now !

Many thanks all