Normally to test the fuel gauge is working, is take off the wire at the sender and touch it to earth, the gauge should rise to read full.

To test the voltage stabiliser you would need an analogue tester, as the stabiliser gets 12 volts it works a bit like a flasher unit, opening and closing and so actually sends out only 10 volts, you can only see this best with an analogue tester.

Hope that helps?

John

Thanks, John. Since both gauges returned to their correct positions simultaneously, twice today, I'm ruling them out. Just fishing to see if anyone else has had this happen; first time for me in 45 years of continuous TR ownership!

Tom

If both gauges did it, that is pretty conclusive. Could be a bad ground on the stabiliser or a faulty unit.

What is the failure mode on these?

My fuel and temp gauges pegged themselves ( to the high end ) today, correcting themselves after some time. What else could be the culprit?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi

With the Voltage Stabiliser remove I found the temp gauge when right over to high, do not know about the fuel gauge as was to worry about the temp untill i work out what was wrong. With the voltage stabiliser back all was OK and my car a TR250.

Peter

Tom

Is your stabiliser still in the speedo, so the earth will be on the thumb screws that hold the gauge in. The PO of mine has relocated it to the bar just under the knee pads.

John

Hi gents,

Replacing the suspect stabilizer with another used one seems to have cured it - but I can't rule out the grounding issue with the knurled nuts which hold the gauge into the fascia; maybe I tightened it more when going back together.

Anyhow, both gauges now read an eight of an inch higher than they did with the previous stabilizer :unsure: which held steady for the 16 years I've had the car until pegging last week .

Cheers,

Tom