• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Fremont

Tom Fremont
  • TR Register Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

What is the failure mode on these?

My fuel and temp gauges pegged themselves ( to the high end ) today, correcting themselves after some time. What else could be the culprit?

Cheers,

Tom

#2 John L

John L
  • TR Register Members
  • 670 posts
  • Cars Owned::Cars Tractors and anything mechanical

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Normally to test the fuel gauge is working, is take off the wire at the sender and touch it to earth, the gauge should rise to read full.

To test the voltage stabiliser you would need an analogue tester, as the stabiliser gets 12 volts it works a bit like a flasher unit, opening and closing and so actually sends out only 10 volts, you can only see this best with an analogue tester.

Hope that helps?

John

#3 Tom Fremont

Tom Fremont
  • TR Register Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Thanks, John. Since both gauges returned to their correct positions simultaneously, twice today, I'm ruling them out. Just fishing to see if anyone else has had this happen; first time for me in 45 years of continuous TR ownership!

Tom

#4 RobH

RobH
  • TR Register Members
  • 1,477 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR3A
    MG M type

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

If both gauges did it, that is pretty conclusive. Could be a bad ground on the stabiliser or a faulty unit.

#5 harrytr5

harrytr5
  • TR Register Members
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

I fitted a separate earth on the voltage stabiliser and all good now.

Regards Harry.

#6 peejay4A

peejay4A
  • TR Register Members
  • 7,507 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR4A (Eric) current
    TR6 (CP) gone
    TR4 (frying tonight) long gone

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

If the gauges end stopped I suspect that the contacts in the regulator stuck closed for a time. It will probably happen again.
Pete 

#7 aardvark

aardvark
  • 308 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6 CP 1970

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:34 AM

Try a brand new voltage regulator. As its new it must be better .... what could go wrong?😬
Where am I?  In the Village.  What do you want?  Information.  Whose side are you on?  That would be telling. We want information… information… in-for-mation.  You won't get it.  By hook or by crook, we will.  Who are you?  The new Number Two.  Who is Number One?  You are Number Six.....  That's right, TR6

#8 peterh

peterh
  • TR Register Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

What is the failure mode on these?

My fuel and temp gauges pegged themselves ( to the high end ) today, correcting themselves after some time. What else could be the culprit?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi

With the Voltage Stabiliser remove I found the temp gauge when right over to high, do not know about the fuel gauge as was to worry about the temp untill i work out what was wrong. With the voltage stabiliser back all was OK and my car a TR250.

Peter

#9 Tom Fremont

Tom Fremont
  • TR Register Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

Thanks all; I'll look through my collection and fit a spare if I don't find any grounding issues ( as I likely won't ).

Cheers,

Tom

#10 John L

John L
  • TR Register Members
  • 670 posts
  • Cars Owned::Cars Tractors and anything mechanical

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

Tom

Is your stabiliser still in the speedo, so the earth will be on the thumb screws that hold the gauge in.  The PO of mine has relocated it to the bar just under the knee pads.

John

#11 Tom Fremont

Tom Fremont
  • TR Register Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:39 PM

Hi gents,

Replacing the suspect stabilizer with another used one seems to have cured it - but I can't rule out the grounding issue with the knurled nuts which hold the gauge into the fascia; maybe I tightened it more when going back together.

Anyhow, both gauges now read an eight of an inch higher than they did with the previous stabilizer :unsure: which held steady for the 16 years I've had the car until pegging last week .

Cheers,

Tom

#12 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 784 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:33 AM

Hi Tom,
So you made some petrol!
Cheers,
Waldi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fault finding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users