Highest Col a PI can take

Whats the highest Alps Col can a well setup PI at sea level manage without being overly rich and causing problems?

I managed 2326 meters Col de la Cayolle today, but didn't think I would try the next 2750 meters.

John

I've done the Stelvio twice, fully loaded and with a passenger, we just made it both times.

Grossglockner twice, same again, fully loaded and passenger, see avatar.

Dave

In a 2.5L, Lucas Pi powered Spitfire, Jonathan Binnington and I got up the Col d'Iseran, the highest through pass in Europe at 2770m, but only just. This was on a Club Triumph '10 CR" in ?2006?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I've done the Stelvio twice, fully loaded and with a passenger, we just made it both times.

Grossglockner twice, same again, fully loaded and passenger, see avatar.

Dave

Did exactly the same as you Dave with no problems.What was alarming was when we entered the tunnel at the top of the Grossglockner [ cool air ] was how the car accelerated, like a turbo kicking in.

Roy

If properly set up they should do the mountain passes, however they will run very rich. You will need to keep the revs up and expect to guzzle petrol.

The standard Lucas PI system as fitted to the TRs had no compensator for atmospheric pressure (apparently one or 2 units with a compensator do exist) so the metering unit is "tricked" buy low atmospheric pressure into fuelling as if the throttle was open further than it was. So at altitude they run very rich almost as if the choke was out.

For high altitude markets like Switzerland Triumph simply set the metering unit to run relatively leaner, which was fine until the car was dropped to lower altitude so the car then runs very lean.

Leicester Group parked at the top of Stelvio image004.jpg

Did exactly the same as you Dave with no problems.What was alarming was when we entered the tunnel at the top of the Grossglockner [ cool air ] was how the car accelerated, like a turbo kicking in.

Roy

Roy, this was 1st week in June 2013, 5 minutes later it was a blizzard and the car (Jag) was on summer tyres. To say the least....it was interesting and the temp was dropping ;)

Dave

post-11477-0-15396300-1531244254_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-88490600-1531244291_thumb.jpg

Edited by nowtelse2do

The 2.5PIs on the World Cup Rally had a cable-operated control to the metering unit to help compensate for high altitude in the Andes. See Graham Robson's excellent book on the Rally.

Ian Cornish

We came to the UK from Oz in 1974 intending to travel for a year. We had had a TR3A a couple of years earlier and had ordered a TR6 from Dove of Wimbledon. Cue the 3 day week and neither Dove nor BL could tell us when the car would be available. So we cancelled the TR6 and bought a Citroen GS 1220 which took us around the UK and Ireland, then to the top of Norway and down to Morocco Algeria and Tunisia. 24,000 miles in 9 months.

On the way, we went from Granada up the Pico del Veleta which was a public road in those days. I recall that we got to 3100m before the ice on the road caused sufficient movement for my wife to abandon ship whilst I turned around on the guard rail free road. Love you too!

I have often wondered what the trip would have been like in the TR6. Would it have made it to 3100m trailing clouds of black smoke?