Gearbox Mountings

Good evening, fellow TR6ers, hope you're all well, and that you've recovered from the IWE!

After a good (but sticky!) run to Lincoln & back (from Bournemouth, via Datchet; a 500 + mile round trip) at the weekend, TRoy (my 1970 TR6 pi) has been juddering his clutch especially in reverse. I believe this to be the gearbox mounting, which is looking a bit gooey these days. As you've probably guessed, I have several questions about this...

1) My Gearbox is a non-TR unit, with A-type Overdrive. The serial number has a MB prefix. I think this a 2000/2.5 saloon 'box? If so, what type of mounting do I need to get?

2) What's the best way changing the mounting? Is it done from under the car, or do I have to take the Gearbox tunnel out, or both approaches at the same time! Do I have to remove the prop shaft and/or exhaust?

As ever any tips, advice & information will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by TR Paul

The mountings should be standard early TR6 ones - the fact that it is a saloon box shouldn't change that.

Realistically tunnel out.

Should be able to keep the prop attached - as for the exhaust - probably remove unless you have a non-standard one that gives you access.

Hi Paul,

Why do you think juddering is caused by the GB rubber?

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Chaps, thanks for the response. My gearbox mounting theory is based on the fact that the GB rubber is not looking healthy (it looks like it's had a healthy dowsing of S.A.E 90 over the years!), it's the same unit that's been on the car in 10+ years of ownership, & the symptoms get worse as things get hotter, which in my mind is consistent with the idea of the rubber breaking down.

The dowel bolts haven't been disturbed (during my ownership), & this is a recent problem, so I'm not too sure if this could be the cause.

However, I could be wrong (& I have been, many times before now!!).

Best wishes,

Paul

Sounds like a good plan, Mike; an easier job too.... in theory!

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Chaps, thanks for the response. My gearbox mounting theory is based on the fact that the GB rubber is not looking healthy (it looks like it's had a healthy dowsing of S.A.E 90 over the years!), it's the same unit that's been on the car in 10+ years of ownership, & the symptoms get worse as things get hotter, which in my mind is consistent with the idea of the rubber breaking down.

The dowel bolts haven't been disturbed (during my ownership), & this is a recent problem, so I'm not too sure if this could be the cause.

However, I could be wrong (& I have been, many times before now!!).

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul!

I would try to make sure it is not oil on the clutch friction plate, look vey carefully at the hole in the bottom of the gearbox casing which is for this purpose. TO see if there are any signs of oil drips.

Bruce.