TR6 front engine plate. help please.

My front engine plate has only only three fixing holes running along the bottom of the plate. in the gasket set there are two gaskets, one with three holes, and one with five holes. In the TR6 manual page 12.41.05 sheet 6 five holes are clearly indicated. Holes two and four are missing from my engine plate. these two missing holes would bolt through to the front sealing block, the block has the threaded holes in the correct location. Given that this location is prone to oil leaks i assume the more fixings the better?. i am missing something very obvious. An explanation would be much appreciated. Thank you all. Russell

Hi Russel,

I had the same issue couple of weeks ago.

I drilled two additional holes. Drilled small holes first, then used a file after noting/marking the exact location to ensure I would not end up with large ovals.

Waldi

Hi Waldi.

Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, all that makes sense, I just did not want to do something that I might regret at a latter date. i still wonder why the front plate has the holes missing?

Have a good day, thank you again. Russell

Hi Waldi.

Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, all that makes sense, I just did not want to do something that I might regret at a latter date. i still wonder why the front plate has the holes missing?

Have a good day, thank you again. Russell

Hi Russel,

when working on aircraft skin there is a natty little tool that allows you to align rivet holes from old to new panel.

Imagine two strips of thin steel 3/4" wide x 6" long. Rivet/bolt one end so it now makes a 'tweezer' shape.

Drill a 1/8" hole through both plates apprx 1/2" from the free end.

In one of the 1/8" holes attach a spigot that goes into the 5/16UNC hole - attaching this could be fun but worth it.

Loosely attach the front plate. Insert the 5/16 spigot into a hole you want to align - drill into the plate to mark the hole position. Repeat for other area.

So basically the tweezers clamp over/under the front plate - 1/8 hole outside and 5/16 spigot in the engine block hole.

Roger

Russel,

My old light alloy front sealing plate (aluminium) did not have the additional holes, the new steel item has.

I suspect it was a modification done during production to later models.

More educated TR-ers than me can maybe confirm?

Regards,

Waldi

I don't think the need to worry about a slightly oversized hole. as long as the bolt will screw into it as the sealing is done by the gasket. I use a gasket sealer these days as well to ensure no leaks. 5 holes every time for me