TR6 biggest torque you can get out of it

Hi Tom

i was thinking standard PI but yeah i remember there is a supercharge kit that can really sort it giving greater acceleration

would need low compression on the head

Guess Pete Cobbold is the man to answer this one

david

Have a supercharger on low compression head and recently rebuilt engine..

currently only running 4psi boost but once run in will go to 7psi and get a RR run to see what it is giving..

However one thing I will say is that the torque comes in lower than you get with the PI..

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tom

i was thinking standard PI but yeah i remember there is a supercharge kit that can really sort it giving greater acceleration

would need low compression on the head

Guess Pete Cobbold is the man to answer this one

david

David, Tom. I get "enough". 2600prm and around 6psi boost gave 100hp at the fwheel Not sure what torque that is. As Tim says the torque comes in with booost, so at low rpm. Ideal for easing the steering on twisty roads in od top at 1500rpm.- flooring the throttle gives instant 3 psi boost and a significant 'push' towards oversteer.

Low compression not necessary with water injection...one day I'll get it working.

Peter.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

David, Tom. I get "enough". 2600prm and around 6psi boost gave 100hp at the fwheel Not sure what torque that is. As Tim says the torque comes in with booost, so at low rpm. Ideal for easing the steering on twisty roads in od top at 1500rpm.- flooring the throttle gives instant 3 psi boost and a significant 'push' towards oversteer.

Low compression not necessary with water injection...one day I'll get it working.

Peter.

Extraordinary- this calculator says that's a torque of 396 ft-lbs :

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjl55-XwYHcAhUT77wKHZ2vAY0QFjABegQIABAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnepsi.com%2Fresources%2Fcalculators%2Fmotor-torque.htm&usg=AOvVaw1HktBYjWYoyN5cbsUp7JoU

Always a tad dubious of those calculators..

If you want to look at a wide range of tuned TR6s have a look at the dyno charts on :

http://www.6-pack.org/vb5/articles/dyno-charts

You'll see stock is about 120 ftlbs..

There used to be more charts here which showed results from more highly tuned cars..

Cheers

Tim

200 lbs-ft I think

http://prntscr.com/k1y57j

6psi boost would ideally give 20.7/14.7 or 41 % over atmospheric induciton. But the gas is hotter so the real gain is much lower, around 20-30% depending on temperature. If RR was optimistic the 200 would be lower and closer to the real gain over stock.

What matters to me, is the engine drives as if a couple of exra cylinders have been added

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

201.92 lb-ft in your case, Peter. This is slightly less than proportional to the atmospheric increase factor over the 1 lb-ft per cubic inch of the early carbureted engines.

Today's turbo'd engines have amazing low end torque; I first experienced this on European turbid weasels we rent when in Italy. I think this tech trick migrated over to petrol engines later. Used to be that turbo'd engines wouldn't impress until the higher rpm. Now the boost comes in off idle if you want, up to 20 psi on my 2016 Cadillac 2 liter, which claims 295 lb-ft of torque or 2.5 lb-ft per cubic inch, ~ proportional to the atmospheric increase factor if applied to old engines like ours per above.

Cheers,

Tom

201.92 lb-ft in your case, Peter. This is slightly less than proportional to the atmospheric increase factor over the 1 lb-ft per cubic inch of the early carbureted engines.

Today's turbo'd engines have amazing low end torque; I first experienced this on European turbid weasels we rent when in Italy. I think this tech trick migrated over to petrol engines later. Used to be that turbo'd engines wouldn't impress until the higher rpm. Now the boost comes in off idle if you want, up to 20 psi on my 2016 Cadillac 2 liter, which claims 295 lb-ft of torque or 2.5 lb-ft per cubic inch, ~ proportional to the atmospheric increase factor if applied to old engines like ours per above.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, Once an intercooler is used to dump the heat then torque propotional to boosted absolute pressure is feasible. But with a carb feeding a 'wet' blower an intercooler is verboten - in an inlet backfire it becomes a grenade. For TRs the only answer if efi and intercooler, eg:

http://www.pattonmachine.com/tr6/

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Tom, Once an intercooler is used to dump the heat then torque propotional to boosted absolute pressure is feasible. But with a carb feeding a 'wet' blower an intercooler is verboten - in an inlet backfire it becomes a grenade. For TRs the only answer if efi and intercooler, eg:

http://www.pattonmachine.com/tr6/

Peter

Yeoman's job, that!

I'll never venture there, as KISS is my creed ( Keep It Simple, Stupid! ) and wouldn't be able to hang on with KICK ( Keep It Complicated, Know-it-all! )

^_^

Tom

Horsepower = (Torque (ft-lbs) x speed)/5252

So, at 5252rpm Bhp = Torque.

200 may be available, some claim 250 plus. But no doubt not without some major mods.

John