Fuel Woes Return

Hi Guys,

In 2015 I posted a problem regarding fuel starvation and multiple breakdowns in my TR4, which all seemed to be related to ethanol and rubber perishing. As part of the remedial measures I had the petrol tank out & flushed it, then sealed it with 'slosh', I fitted ethanol resistant fuel lines and fitted a new petrol pump diaphragm. All has been well with fuel since 2015 until this weekend.

I broke down twice on a long journey with the same issue - complete engine stop. Rubbery lumps in fuel pump bowl and something evidently blocking the tank outlet as no fuel was flowing when the pump inlet was disconnected. I remembered the advice to blow back up the lines from pump to tank; and fuel flowed again. The greyish lumps in the fuel bowl look like sealant/silicone when out of petrol but like a jelly fish when suspended in petrol.

Before I have the petrol tank out again I wonder if anyone can suggest where this substance might have come from. Tank looks clear of rust, paint flakes, crud etc and I do not recall using any sealant on the pipes or the sender unit.

Also, has anyone ever managed to come up with a cunning way of retro-fitting a wire mesh over the tank outlet to trap any roaming bits and avoid complete pipe blockage?

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, I made the outlet pipe so it sticks up into the tank about 4 ins. The top of the pipe is flattened leaving only about 1mm gap and between the top of the pipe and just above the tank fitting I drilled about 15 holes 4mm dia radially and staggered so theres always plenty of ways for petrol to enter the pipe.

Chris