I am trying to wireup a high level brake light to fit in my hard top. I am taking the brake light feed from the rear loom as it passes over the rear passenger inner wheel arch. The +ve is fine but in the same loom bundle is a black wire which I assume is earth. Trouble is, it isn't connected. Guess it connects to earth a the from of the car somewhere? Anyone know where?

Cheers

Tim

Which side is this on?

You can tee into the black to give you an earth return path just make sure that the black wire is connected to eath.

You can check this with a continuity tester black wire to -ve yes or no or just a voltmeter test black - ve to +ve should read 12V

After too many earth problems in the boot area, lights and fuel pump, i’ve recently run a heavy cable to the boot from the -ve terminal and added a -ve bus to connect everything to.

Also rewired the rear lights with new earths.

The standard rear earth is indeed to a spade in the lhs/passenger side indicator repeater.

Steve

It is interesting to me that there is a black earth cable running in the main loom to the back of the car. There is also earth tabs on the lamp housing. On my car (hassled by a dpo) the rear lights are earthed to the rear lamp housing tabs while the earth cable in the loom isn't connected to earth. Seems strange to have an earth in the main loom AND having earth tabs on the lamp housings.

As with Steve's post above.

My car had one common earth at the front of the car connecting to a spade terminal on centre of the front valence. A second in the dashboard area connection to a spade in the engine bay adjacent to the clutch master cylinder, and a third earth at the rear of the car connection to a spade terminal near the nearside rear lights.

The three earth sections were not interconnected with wiring, just the body shell. I ran a heavy wire between all three and also to the battery cable to body shell post.

Many niggling issues went away and the headlamps were noticeably brighter.

I think a body rebuild painted and sealed each panel without considering electrical conductivity.

Pretty easy to run and connect.

Alan

Yes that matches with what I have. Just odd running an earth wire in the main loom front to back.

Bad returns account for a large share of TR6 electrical woes, and I've had more than my share of them. In what's probably a gross overreaction, I now have 17 separate returns wired from all over the car to a single common point, which connects directly to the battery. I believe the body is now no longer part of any electrical circuit on the car. The engine block still provides part of the return path for ignition, temp sensor, and alternator.

We'll see how it works.

Ed

IMG_4657a.JPG

Edited by ed_h

Impressive. You should work on fibreglass bodied cars.