New Clutch Slave Cylinder - problems bleeding or maybe another problem?

Hi TRevor,

I'm surprised that who ever changed the clutch recently didn't fit a new tapered pin and fit the extra cross pin.

Roger

Because unless they know to fit one they would assume that the taper pin was sufficient.

Stuart..

Guess thats the big question. The garage sorted out the gearbox and did a bottom end refresh amongst other things. They had not seen a problem with the taper pin. I havent seen details of the additional reinforcement of the pin. Please could you give a little more detail? The garage is an old school classic car concern and can turn their hand to most things. This will be useful to have details to hand. Thanks to all, this forum is an excellent base for sharing of knowledge and experience.

Regards Trevor

Guess thats the big question. The garage sorted out the gearbox and did a bottom end refresh amongst other things. They had not seen a problem with the taper pin. I havent seen details of the additional reinforcement of the pin. Please could you give a little more detail? The garage is an old school classic car concern and can turn their hand to most things. This will be useful to have details to hand. Thanks to all, this forum is an excellent base for sharing of knowledge and experience.

Regards Trevor

Hi Trev if you put Clutch Taper into the Search at the top of Page you’ll see all the Fixes.

This small modification is also described in Roger Williams How to Restore Triumph Tr5/250/6 .

Waldi

I set out this morning with hydraulics understood to be okay. The slave pin in the top hole and my own bodge taking up the slack in the elongated hole in the clutch pedal. It was a 12 mile 40 min drive in slow urban traffic. On arrival the clutch operation had deteriorated to a crunchy reverse and first gear. My man Terry did as advised and welded quite a thick washer to one side in the original position. He advised there wasnt simply enough room at this stage for another one the other side without modifying the master pin. Also the clevis pin was now too short. A nut and bolt was used. However on the way home I was able to resource a longer clevis pin from a nuts and bolts outlet in Benfleet. The clutch works okay and I am able to drive the car reasonably confidently once more. The mid term solution no doubt is to get the pedal out of the car and do a proper job. Thanks for all your helpful comments. Regards

Hi Trever,

When you take out the peddle box, check the nylon bushes on the peddle cross shaft, mine were very badly worn and compounded the oval clevis pin hole wear in the peddle.

Bruce.

Stuart, thanks for the photo, I can see the cross drilled fitment at right angles to the taper pin. I've printed it off and will take it along to the garage.

Regards Trevor