How to dismantle water pump

Today fitted the new  bearings and made a 4.4 mm longer new spacer,

pump is in again and still sealed, hope I can drive the car this weekend.

Added: 400 km throught the Black Forest, pump is quiet and sealed.

Edited by Z320
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

this pump still works lovely and is sealed, so I started my spare engine rebuild with the water pump.

Someone already tried to dismantle it, otherwise there is no reason for a 4 mm wide gap between the impeller and pump body.

Sorry no photo of that but from the broken seal.

P1150806-b.JPG.2527851a220228f661d5a8a7925706c3.JPG

You see the gap 15 x 1.25 mm where a clip avoids pulling the shaft out by tightening the pulley, sadly the clip was broken.

Next see the new seal from Moss, fits only their pumps from 2000 onwards - but I know with some modification it also fits the original pump.

P1150811-b.JPG.49cd7dc60c50806ce41f15d3a295d094.JPG

Also you see shaft clips due to DIN 471, lovely but too strong to fit. And some clips due to DIN 6799, easy to fit but 1.5 mm high.

So I had to grind one down to 1.2 mm on a rasp and sand paper (the silver one), that's just a matter of time and patience.

The new seal I put in pieces to look how it works: a rubber "plug", a both sides coned rubber hose with ceramic washer,

a stainless steel spring and washer and a duroplast or ceramic (?) "body".

P1150819-b.JPG.3bba619373151904ec58c6317c960005.JPG  P1150823-b.JPG.89280e9c784a222034380d0568783311.JPG

Spring and washer belongs in the plug from the left side, the duroplast / ceramic body helps to keep the washer in the plug, but it is too high for the original pump.

So I made a much lower and smaller one from stainless steel, it helps to hold the washer in the rubber plug.

P1150831-b.JPG.cfc53c7be5d02aab09e9e889b388aa58.JPG

Next this smaller body is alreday on the rubber blug and the washer is pressed in from the other side (look close to see it), next the spring is in again.

P1150833-b.JPG.e8d1ad537b8228509546420f8c7c1860.JPG  P1150835-b.JPG.1b8bf3e2f34cdcbff6fb00a10a4de1da.JPG

Last the both sides coned hose has to go through the whole stuff, that worked lovely with some vaseline.

P1150836-b.JPG.4e541a3e257bfa8a04ca4175f5a1fd41.JPG

Sorry me, no further photos from that point because of the vaseline on my fingers, but the seal fitted well on the old pump,

the old bearings still worked well and so I used them again, all together with the spacer and outher seal, to fit the new clip was no problem.

I hope it will be sealed and work well. What a nice project for the start the weekend!

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I guided a TR mate to this thread and he tried to use the still avaiable seal for the Tr6 water pump.

He told me it fits perfect and without any modifications on the 4 cylinder water pumps.

I have two in by shopping basket and hope this info helps to loose your scare about restoring your water pump.

Ciao, Marco

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

I've been asked for part number for the TR6 water pump seal, it is #88G446.

The water pump seal I ordered via Moss' TR4 online catalog before had to be modyfied als shown at the forum.

The recommended water pump seal I orderd via the Moss' TR6 online catalog I fitted indeed without any modyfication!

Now the wrong seal has been delivered to our mate,

so I checked the TR4 and TR6 part numbers on the bills - they are both the same: #88G446 !!!!

But the supplied seals are different, please see the attached photos.

You better ask Moss what you get when you order 88G446.

Ciao, Marco

The seal I ordered as a TR6 seal...

LkCn2EhJGua941YjzkFkv-631IQn99PA9IAHqhet

PFrt21MYkMaM-fkkxnFIWbHTZAwbo-pjd0v372rg

And the seal I ordered as a TR4 seal...

LHdZeClUWTZsyOH3bY7G1zCFlviuvzaQwlJ57dzN

On 11/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, Z320 said:

At this forum there is no TR-iki to collect such informations.....?

To answer your question, I think a Wiki, somehow closely linked to the Forum, would be a helpful addition to give your technical and well-illustrated demonstrations a permanent home which is easy to locate. 

I have by now read several such demonstrations of yours.

You could possibly group them together, edit, and then maybe produce the equivalent of a Wiki. Something similar is the TR restorations diaries?

For now, writing in September 2021 — a long time after your question — there is a thread in General Technical where I put links to useful documents (I called it "Bonanza Collection"). The numbered order is in the sequence of adding new items.

Another option would be for you to ask the Forum moderator if he can pin this thread of yours so that it will always appear on the first page.

David

Edited by DavidBee
9 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi David, 

I asked and suggested the mods a TRiki and I got an answer.

Ciao, Marco

Mysterious! Which was...?

Ciao, David

To add to Marco’s post about water pumps. 

I rebuilt my pump using a new seal bought from a Ferguson Tractor website. It’s a TE20 water pump seal. 

I had the same problem with new bearings not being available so I got a friend with a lathe to run me up a new shaft in stainless steel and sized to accept the modern available bearings. 

I refaced the bearings running surface using my bench drill as a milling machine with an old exhaust valve faced with various grades of abrasive paper (stuck on with impact adhesive). 

Rgds Ian