Hi all,

after repairing the wiring loom, fitting a second one for my own needs and repair of the heater I started to fit the EPS unit in the TR.

Some week ago, before I put the old sterring out I build myself this "little helper" / "model" based on the seat fixing.

That makes it possible to do the work alone and to bolt the unit 100% in the correct position - without the dashboard.

1417572006_78EPSRenaultClioIIforTriumphTR4A-fitsteeringunitinthecarwithahelper.JPG.369cdc4ca24ff846a9cc7e80285c6658.JPG

The "little helper" is a very patient one and stand all my §$%&/ talking, which would bring me in bad trouble with my wife as helper. A REAL good fellow!

Under the bonnet it looks like this, the original clamp is used as a dummy. Looks nearly original? Lenght fitted well on the first attempt.

1769876707_78EPSRenaultClioIIforTriumphTR4A-steeringunitunderthebonnetwithcpalmasadummy.JPG.1dc31fb7af3a9e59a9958c94f54ff450.JPG

What I realised first on the photo by accident is the corrosion on the batterie strap from battery gases!

I think I find a fittig and a PVC hose in my workshop to avoid a further carrosion.

Ciao / Cheers, Marco

Edited by Z320
On 1/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, stillp said:

Which "new rules" are you talking about Richard?

Pete

As above, historic vehicles and whatv you can / cannot do in terms of mods and still qualify.

Sorry but you cannot be aware of the changes allowing you to make your car registered as Historic thus take advantage of Historic car status. Whilst I understood the rules to be EU wide, in the UK you just have to self-certify your car. You can make mods so long as they were an option at the time or will now inprove safety or economy. I'm simplyfing things.

I would argue that in the UK-you can modify your car to power steering (as above) as a safety measure but in Germany (as above) it seems you can't as it is not self certifying. I would argue that in the UK you can make suspension mods to make the car safer or install a 5/6 s[peed box as well.

Can I suggest you look elsewhere for the rulesand much discussion for Historic vehicles for more informtion if your TR is elegible for Historic Status. I'm guessing it is but may be standard anyway.

just hoo much space is available in a TR,

like frae sump t,chassis,

reason, the Honda type steering racks are electric, wid the motor int rack

maybe, maybe not,!!!

t / they wont go in a GT or Spitty, already looked,

unless engines shifted backwards,

alot easier an moer room ona Spitty, but why, they so light t,start wid

but a GT aint.

http://www.nsxprime.com/electric-power-steering/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1511&bih=891&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=SkdLXKOeCrGP1fAPkIq5oAk&q=honda+electric+steering+rack+&oq=honda+electric+steering+rack+&gs_l=img.12...3894.7329..8693...0.0..0.78.540.10......0....1..gws-wiz-img.cHUGO6ihuB0#imgrc=y8GX6Ap2nifJeM:

M

Edited by GT6M

Very interesting information,

perhaps another TR fellow wants to go this way, I'm too far with my Clio unit.

But allow me two comments:

- it will not fit with the original fan and extension (which I further want to use)

- I cannot find one of this units on eBay Germany, UK and USA

Cioa Marco

Edited by Z320
my bad english writing

Hi there,

the project goes on with fixing the unit on the bulkhead - or on the plenum chamber?

From below on the bulkhead the torque of the unit would bend on the clamp.

1814428333_79EPSRenaultClioIIforTriumphTR4A-lookontheESPunitfromthefloor.JPG.e0c32d9c3a2df896e78f6b39f231c40f.JPG

So I decided to fix the attachement of the clip on the plenum chamber, that will push and pull the clip and it's also about 1" more outside.

463077602_80EPSRenaultClioIIforTriumphTR4A-torquebracketfromESPUnittoplenumchamber.JPG.ab352a7f1c7816ed1adeafb8673b084f.JPG

Next will be a first test of the steering - or the fixing of the switch to switch off the unit at gear 3 and 4 - and N between 3 and 4.

That will probably be the end of the project because I got an offer to sell the unit. That makes sence because I am not allowed to drive it at Germany.

Ciao / Cheers, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

after some problems to fit a external switch for gear 3-N-4 "we" agreed to solve the job with a time relay (with adjustable delay).

"We" is me and the future owner of the EPS unit. The relay looks like this, price is 2.83 Euros from China (makes no sence to pay more).

s-l500.jpg.3d00d9865c8231ca50f00a3a9cea1224.jpg

It bridges the adjustable resistor to get the support from the EPS to zero in gear 3 and 4 (switch in the gear box cover is used),

AND holds the contacts closed for an adjustable time of 0.5 - 1.0 seconds while shifting from 3 to 4 or 4 to 3.

I don't now if the new owner will report about his experience, I wish hin always a safe and joyfull drive.

For me it was a very exciting project which guided me over the limits I had (in my mind).

Ciao / Cheers, Marco  

Edited by Z320
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

this is an update about what happened the last weeks.

The timer relay above worked well - but not the way I hoped (and promissed) - it can not hold its switch closed for a time while shifting 3-N-4 or 4-N-3.

So I agreed with the new owner of the EPS to make myself a relay for him to hold the contact closed for about 2 sec. while shifting 3-N-4 and 4-N-3, it looked like this.

This was the deal....

IMG_4476-c.JPG.d185a96d60ee913245ce03a49a3d3fbe.JPG

The EPS unit is already in the new owers TR and I got message from him that it works lovely, also my DIY relay did what it was made for.

But it seems to be such a convenience to drive the TR with the EPS unit in speed 1 and 2 that the new owner kicked my relay off his TR to use the EPS also on speed 3 and 4.

As Richard told in e early post it seems to work well with a low assistance on all speeds and no speed control is needed.

Next a friend asked me (he owns his own lathe) to help him to adapt a Clio unit to his tractor - challenges do not end....

Ciao / Cheers, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...