Bargains on the Bay

It's because any day now people will realise the 250 is far more desirable than a 5.....

More that a rust free shell from Ca is better than

a UK car with umpteen repro panels welded in.

AlanR

More that a rust free shell from Ca is better than

a UK car with umpteen repro panels welded in.

AlanR

But Alan can you understand the UK TR Brigade thaT always promote " Correct english RHD Rust bucket"

I have fought against it for years, The USA is (or was) the place to get your TR from, without doubt.

Its all classic car prices. My theory is cheap credit and lack of return elsewhere but mainly cheap credit. In my experience, years ago, the classic community wouldnt think of borrowing to buy a classic (a car to get you to and from work was different). Now its like houses - buy the best you can afford it will only go up etc etc. Plus there are a lot of current retirees who are far more affluent than previously (at the moment at least). More money in, limited supply, prices go up. Its just sad when genuine enthusiasts are not able to afford even relatively modest classics

Bob

I hate it when people write TR5/250. Its should be against trade description the comission number should count.

If you want a 250 buy from USA. If you want a Tr5 buy in Europe and accept tim worm is part of it as they were only there.

Prices are silly but a 9k car that will cost you maybe 10-30k to get lovely is still a bargain at the moment even a poor but running TR5 will probably get you 30k. When its A1 you can ask 50-75k Thats the facts.

I think its stupid but thats the way it is folks and we dont own the market.

What worries me more is that there is a new one every day and with 450 existing Tr5's I smell a rat.

Anyone who doesnt like current pricing care to sell me their decent 5 at the more honest price of 20k?

Edited by Rem18

Surely people put "5/250" so they hit both searches? That's just like Amazon putting "you searched for iPad, but here are some other tablets you might be interested in, as good but cheaper", no? What's the problem with that? Do you really think that's someone trying to pass off one as the other? I certainly don't, it's just smart marketing.

When I bought my 250, almost 30 years ago, it was just because I loved the Michelotti design. I didn't care whether it was a 4, 4a or 5. I didn't even know what a 250 was. I saw the listing in exchange and mart, found out about it (pre Google), thought "why not?" and went to see. I would totally have been snagged by the dual title, and be pleased to have been!

At that time all four models were about the same price (within a few hundred quid). I thought this one was the right car for me, so I bought it. If it'd plumped for a 4a it would now be worth £10k less; if I'd found a 5 it'd be worth £10k more. That's luck for you. Who can explain that price difference? Noone here is paying the extra £10k just for the two extra cylinders are they? And another ten for the extra bhp? You could get that and more on a 4a for a lot less than 20 grand. More "desirable"? Why? Surely it's just that because of their rarity 5s have become "collectable". I don't see that as a great thing - I'd rather hear people talking about what they've done with their cars than what the gross yield before tax and after costs is. The problem I see is that as they become more valuable you'll stop seeing them on the roads, they'll all be tucked up in air conditioned multi car garages where their perfect paint won't get chipped. And who wants that?

So for me, I'm very happy to have my not-5 and enjoy driving it, stone chips and all.

Surely people put "5/250" so they hit both searches? That's just like Amazon putting "you searched for iPad, but here are some other tablets you might be interested in, as good but cheaper", no? What's the problem with that? Do you really think that's someone trying to pass off one as the other? I certainly don't, it's just smart marketing.

When I bought my 250, almost 30 years ago, it was just because I loved the Michelotti design. I didn't care whether it was a 4, 4a or 5. I didn't even know what a 250 was. I saw the listing in exchange and mart, found out about it (pre Google), thought "why not?" and went to see. I would totally have been snagged by the dual title, and be pleased to have been!

At that time all four models were about the same price (within a few hundred quid). I thought this one was the right car for me, so I bought it. If it'd plumped for a 4a it would now be worth £10k less; if I'd found a 5 it'd be worth £10k more. That's luck for you. Who can explain that price difference? Noone here is paying the extra £10k just for the two extra cylinders are they? And another ten for the extra bhp? You could get that and more on a 4a for a lot less than 20 grand. More "desirable"? Why? Surely it's just that because of their rarity 5s have become "collectable". I don't see that as a great thing - I'd rather hear people talking about what they've done with their cars than what the gross yield before tax and after costs is. The problem I see is that as they become more valuable you'll stop seeing them on the roads, they'll all be tucked up in air conditioned multi car garages where their perfect paint won't get chipped. And who wants that?

So for me, I'm very happy to have my not-5 and enjoy driving it, stone chips and all.

Well said!

Magnus

there are a few 250's in the UK for "Renovation" at around £10K.

I often look at the US Ebay site, and found a MK1 Spitfire 4 in California for less than £2K been there all its life and in excellent condition. Now in Southampton docks.

Last sunday morning I bid on a white TR250 with a Surrey top, it needs floors but For the money

why people pay over the odds to dealers here is puzzling.

You can buy from the US yourselves I have many times, the seller should have a good feedback rating, you should speak to him, get his address Google earth it etc etc, get a quote from Kingstown shipping

paying attention as to the cost of getting it to a port, and they do the rest, cost is almost the same west to UK as east to UK. about £1750.

I paid just under £5.5 K for this one with Surrey top (Alloy)

post-4234-0-34484700-1530560112_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-01026100-1530560139_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-59522900-1530560156_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-40413400-1530560168_thumb.jpg

You're getting a track record Peter for careful measured buys ...well done.

Mick Richards

So are we driving a wedge (hopefully not BL) between 5 and 250 owners ?

Polishers vs tuners/drivers

Analists vs 'just want the look with a '6 in it'

Armchair lot vs restorers

I'll leave it there. For now

I just always wanted a car that looked like that with that sound. Why pay twice as much ?

TR5 owners - my car is so original. It needed rust repairs after 8/10 years (being optimistic here).

In the 80's it had a full body rebuild ,in fact a complete restoration with TR6 values in mind with new engine/chassis etc.

90's ditto

Possibly 2000 era

Same again.

It's ok but the front bulkhead hasn't been touched.

But it's so original.

Yes there are very few exceptions

Lets face it any restoration project is basically financially the equivalent of flushing money down the toilet

If it's purely about money then you are FAR better off buying one that somebody has already invested their time or paid somebody else to restore it

Me? I do it because I enjoy my car and the fun of working on it and keeping it going as a hobby...

Absolutely - anyone who buys a restoration project as an investment is likely to be bonkers.

Will classic prices remain high? They had a silly spell in the late 80's before returning to more realistic levels. When tinworm hits the investors assets will they bail out and the market return to the enthusiasts?

What will happen when petrol starts to get harder to find. Some way off at present but with the push to electric there is that to factor into things. Diesel may be around for longer as electric lorries, plant and farm machinery could be some way off.

Depends who does the restoration. I agree if you go to an unscrupulous person pretending to be a restorer of triumphs then you will get your fingers burned. But for some of us it’s not about the money but bringing something back to life - PROPERLY! I have seen lots of Restorations that are just blow overs, and now without the Mot to control the bad uns it is set to get worse - buyers beware just because it is shinny does not mean it has been done properly!

I know exactly what you mean Clem, I have had my fingers burnt and much more !

Unscrupulous is just one of the adjectives I have used !!

If anyone wants to know , please pm me.

I like what you are saying, makes me feel good about trusting people again.

All the best,

Conrad.

Absolutely - anyone who buys a restoration project as an investment is likely to be bonkers.

Will classic prices remain high? They had a silly spell in the late 80's before returning to more realistic levels. When tinworm hits the investors assets will they bail out and the market return to the enthusiasts?

What will happen when petrol starts to get harder to find. Some way off at present but with the push to electric there is that to factor into things. Diesel may be around for longer as electric lorries, plant and farm machinery could be some way off.

Electric Triumph for sale in Canada

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/classic-all-electric-triumph-tr6/1362661113?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

...for when the petrol runs dry.

Yep with 75 miles "city" range (quite possibly means at 50 mph max) it will be a blast to drive, the very essence of why electric cars need to be built carefully and with thought of power packs and performance if they are to gain easy acceptance.

Mick Richards

Don't think that I could ever feel happy with an electric TR. No smell of exhaust fumes, or of petrol fumes, or of hot oil would ruin it for me.

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Don't think that I could ever feel happy with an electric TR. No smell of exhaust fumes, or of petrol fumes, or of hot oil would ruin it for me.

Darren

I agree. I have remote control trucks as a hobby. The big move in recent years is to electric, what with the advances in battery technology. I have no interest in the battery ones, I so much enjoy tinkering with the gas(nitro) powered ICE ones. Love the noise, smell, and smoke!

Graham