Ignition Switch location

Hi, All,

I'm the proud (3rd) new owner of a CP 1972 TR6, and a brand new member of the register.

Whilst I am very happy (read ecstatic) about the 6, there is one aspect of the car I really don't like. The ignition switch is between my knees under the steering column, and I really don't like it there. Trawling Google, I see that there are a number of alternative locations for it, ranging from the side of the steering column to mounting it between the heater controls and the choke.

At last, to the point. Has anyone any experience in moving the switch, and if so where to and how? I've searched Moss-Europe and Rimmer Bros for any kit which may facilitate the move, to no avail. Has anyone come across one, or is it all done by rule of thumb, correct to the nearest chalkmark.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

John

John,

It is only a few wires and a switch so could be put anywhere, mine is a 1970 car and is in the central heater / choke panel. My car does not have a steering column lock so "other" means would need to be installed to prevent / delay theft.

If you remove yours I would guess it would be a significant change to the risk of theft and would need to be notified to your insurer.

I'm sure you will find many more quirks on the car, such as wonderful windscreen wipers, "candlepower" headlamps - its quite a long list, but then that is the character of old cars, You might even learn to live with the crutch lock! :)

Alan

i did this, John. I bought a TR5 switch plinth, and ignition switch from TR Enterprises, and lengthened the wiring cables. I seem to recall two of them had to be joined together, as the terminals are a little different. Works a treat. PM me uf you need any more info. Austin

Thanks for the prompt replies, gents.

Alan, It has an Autolock between handbrake and gearstick and an immobiliser switch on the fuel pump for security, as there is no steering column lock, so that wouldn't be a problem. Its a bit of a contortion to reach it where it is. Just being able to see it whilst inserting the key would be an immense improvement.

Austin, I'll have a look at that. Thanks for your suggestion.

Best wishes to you both,

John

hi John

had same problem with my tr6,mounted new ignition switch in centre consul ,as per early tr 6.

Just leave stearing lock in place ! And leave key in to release lock .

You can buy ignition extension loom from most electrical components companies,for tr6.

Michael.

Good point on notifying the insurance company.! The steering lock is I guess what you would call a passive lock as in you pull the key and it locks whereas anything else requires some effort!

Depends I guess on how an insurance company would view it.............after all we know they can be really clever at wriggling!

See my post in the “engine cutting out” thread. I replaced the dash rheostat with a modern ignition switch - way more convenient. I installed a discreet ignition kill switch for security - everything else still works - it’ll turn over and all, just won’t catch