Help - ceiling drip may have ruined my paintwork!

I park in a garage with about 50 other cars, under a purpose-built mansion block - about mid-70's. The garage ceiling is plagued by drips, many of which form mini-stalactites with lumps of stalagmites on the floor - not terribly large, mind you.

I have a dry spot - been there for years. Today moved the car to better light to clean it - and noticed drips on the paintwork. I moved it, wiped the drips and moved it again. Just when I was finished I noted a rather large drip which had been sitting on the bonnet for just a few minutes - but long enough.

I wiped it off but no luck; I could feel it with my nail. Mind you I have a silicone coat on the paint - and the drip and subsequent run has left an ugly streak. A drip nearby scraped off with my nail, and the drip overrun on the chrome came off with my nail - but nothing getting this meter and a half long streak off my bonnet.

Any chemists out there? Silicone and calcium? Should I try toothpaste? I have no idea where to begin - except a soft damp cloth in water doesn't do it.post-5998-0-58592800-1529505473_thumb.jpgpost-5998-0-81698900-1529505493_thumb.jpgpost-5998-0-20211900-1529505505_thumb.jpg

Try something acidic, such as white vinegar.

Pete

+1. Carbonates can be impossible to remove using detergents, difficult using abrasives, and surprisingly easy with a weak acid. Soak a paper towel in vinegar and leave it on the deposit for a half hour or so.

Not at all. In fact, you could probably dilute it 1:1 with water and take a little more time. But vinegar (acetic acid) won't hurt any modern paint for a modest time. Acid rain is probably harder on the finish...

Wow - learn something every day. That vinegar did the trick - no trace. Many thanks!

While applying it I ran into another car owner who said he uses vinegar too - as drips were "part of life" in the garage. Well, first time for me - lucky I guess.