Installing revotec fan controller

Just about to start installing a Revotec Cooling fan on my TR4A.

I am looking at where exactly I fit the fan controller on the bottom hose. My concern is that it appears to be positioned "on the bend" so as to have access to the controller temperature screw. (see attached photo).

Does anyone have a photo of exactly where they fitted the controller on the bottom hose?

Many thanks,

Ian

post-15554-0-78218900-1529489531_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

You're right, the controller doesn't fit right in. I've just fitted one. I cut the equivalent length of the controller pipe off the top of the existing downpipe. You then have exactly the right space to fit in the controller pipe and connection. You are effective substituting the new controller pipe for a bit of the existing downpipe.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Andrew

The hottest part of the radiator is at the top where the water is pumped directly from the engine.

By the time the water has travelled down the radiator to the bottom hose it is cooler.

If you want an accurate temperature measurement, must be at the top.

Which is why a thermostat in the lower part would be set lower and still operate. Why is that worse than putting it at the hot part? Sorry to labour it but I dont see the benefit.

It probably matters little if the stat is in the top or bottom of the rad beyond the tempersture range being different.

The case for the top being that it is more sensitive to a rising engine temp, the case for the lower in the rad or return being that it is better damped from fluctuations in the water temp.

One way of looking at it - its the thermostat that is intended to maintain the engine temperature. The cooling system should have excess cooling capacity such that the thermostat does not need to be wide open all the time but modulates the water flow as required to maintain normal temperature.

Most of the time the forward air-stream is sufficient to ensure that the water being returned from the radiator is suitably cooled but when stopped in traffic, fan assistance is required to give the necessary cooling capacity. It would appear then that the correct place for the switch is in the return path to the engine.....

Rob, that assumes the water is circulating - what if the thermostat has failed closed?

Then again, if the coolant level is low, the top hose might be empty so a thermostat there will be cold.

Pete

Well you don't design the system to work under fault conditions I suppose. If there's no circulation or not enough water in the system the fan won't help will it ? In fact if the top hose is empty there's no point in putting the sensor there anyway.

Edited by RobH