Very early lockheed axle.

A bit of confusion here, and not for the first time!

After studying the Moss catalogue I am none the wiser about whether there should be brake shoe retaining springs. The back plates do not seem to have a provision for this, do they stay in position with good luck and the bent tab beside the wheel cylinder holding the lower spring?

The Stanpart parts catalogue early addition does not show this an error or particular to the Lockheed axle.

My backing plates (early 56 TR3) had provision for springs but none came with car. I added some after much debate. Here is a link (https://photos.app.goo.gl/EJWNt4m6SDWmXVVs8) to a picture of my backing plate showing part number and spring attachment point. Also page from parts catalogue showing how parts changed over time. Yellow mark shows wear I was worried about in case springs were causing issue after installation. Cheers, Mike