I have always regarded the small hole as a tell tale hole, if found leaking water the seal is failing and needs replacing.

Paul

I thought it was to avoid excess grease from damaging the seal.

Pete

I thought it was to avoid excess grease from damaging the seal.

Pete

Could be Pete either is feasible.

My original pump has a grease nipple and a large opening in the bottom of the pump casing, the aftermarket pump I have has the small hole at the bottom of the casing with no grease nipple as it has sealed bearings.

Paul

Weep Holes

Water pumps all come with a hole in them. The hole is called the “weep hole”. It’s not that water pumps are naturally sad or anything. They need the weep hole to warn you when seals are about to fail in the pump. The weep hole is intended to allow extra lubricant from the pump bearings to drip out of the water pump housing. Without this hole, the oil would be forced past the water pump seal and get into the engine coolant. The hole also allows coolant to escape the pump housing instead of being forced past the oil seals to contaminate the bearings.

Seems both understandings are correct Pete.

I did a Google search for water pump weep holes, another lesson learned.

Paul

Just as an aside, since I restored my 3A, about 5 years, I have been running a massey furgerson tractor water pump as it had the origonal grease points and appeared to be better made than the repros available at the time, and much cheaper.

I have run my car at over 40°C here in summer with no problems. Not that I would recommend it to others but just stating my experiences now waiting for the flak :D

cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Well, new quality water pump fitted & after a 50 mile round trip still some black greasy or oily smuts on the under bonnet. The new fan belt fitted @ same time as the new pump is already slightly black & greasy! Any further ideas from anybody? Would some 'spitting' from the exhaust manifold be greasy & could it end up on the fan belt?

I think the key is the fan belt with something getting on to it & being thrown off it, but from where?

Thanks in advance.