Overhead linkage - Enginuity or Revington?

Having utterly lost any enthusiasm for continuing to try with my current throttle linkage, I have decided to ditch it and fit an overhead kit. I know a number of people on here are using the Revington kit successfully, I haven't seen any post about the Enginuity kit however, is anyone using it? thoughts?

Ian

Why not use the Moss throttle linkage kit, part no 152889 XK.Easy to fit and around £50. Then use the poly bushes, Moss part no 138490SP X 3.Job done.

Regards Harry

My linkage is all new Harry, as are the rods, I have also tried the Moss kit but the rods are way too long, obviously I can cut them down but the untapped centre section is still too long for my centre rod.

Ian,

Having had a look at your PI set up and shared a little of your pain, my advice if you're changing the throttle arrangement, would be too get the whole lot from a single supplier, who is trusted by members here (replies to this post will probably indicate who is worth talking to).

Whatever you decide, good luck, as a well fettled Lucas PI system is a delight to drive.

Nigel

Ian,

Having had a look at your PI set up and shared a little of your pain, my advice if you're changing the throttle arrangement, would be too get the whole lot from a single supplier, who is trusted by members here (replies to this post will probably indicate who is worth talking to).

Whatever you decide, good luck, as a well fettled Lucas PI system is a delight to drive.

Nigel

I’m not sure I get you Nigel, my PI setup was all supplied by Neil with the exception of the PRV which is not at issue here. I have a set of Moss rods but am not using any of them.

Ian

Hi Iain,

Only just spotted your reply, sorry to be slow off the mark.

Agreed the PRV isn't the problem. I saw a mix of throttle rods from two suppliers when I came to look at your car but didn't realise that throttle linkage and rods came from the same supplier. In any case, I struggle to understand how a supplier can sell rods that are too long and need to be cut down and have lock nuts added by the end user. THey should fit the car straight out of the box.

The Moss ball jointed rods I fitted to my car about 10 years ago were the correct length, and fitted straight in ready for balancing the throttle plates. My only slight criticism is they would have been better with a finer thread, making small adjustments more precise.

Hope this makes sense, and best of luck,

Nigel

Hi Iain,

Only just spotted your reply, sorry to be slow off the mark.

Agreed the PRV isn't the problem. I saw a mix of throttle rods from two suppliers when I came to look at your car but didn't realise that throttle linkage and rods came from the same supplier. In any case, I struggle to understand how a supplier can sell rods that are too long and need to be cut down and have lock nuts added by the end user. THey should fit the car straight out of the box.

The Moss ball jointed rods I fitted to my car about 10 years ago were the correct length, and fitted straight in ready for balancing the throttle plates. My only slight criticism is they would have been better with a finer thread, making small adjustments more precise.

Hope this makes sense, and best of luck,

Nigel

As supplied, the rods from Neil had locking nuts, the place I had the kit fitted must have removed them all, in any case you can't fit them on the centre rod, it is too short when fitted. I haven't made much progress I'm afraid, the car idles ok when first started and as the temp rises, so does the RPM, to c. 1300 RPM when hot and idling. I have zero confidence in driving the car unfortunately, I've never been recovered 3 times in any of the 37 cars I've owned before this one! I'm now looking to try an additional throttle return spring to try and control things, I have posted asking for a recommendation as to what spring to try.

Ian

Well good luck, I mean that seriously, not in any way meaning to sound facetious. You have suffered some serious misfortune with this throttle set up.

A properly fettled TR6 PI is a joy to drive. I hope you get there soon.

Nigel

Ian,any type of Throttle Return Spring should suit it’s just the Lenght and Strength of it you need to worry about,if the Spring is not long enough I would use some Wire Coat Hanger bent with 2 Hooks on either end.

Ian,any type of Throttle Return Spring should suit it’s just the Lenght and Strength of it you need to worry about,if the Spring is not long enough I would use some Wire Coat Hanger bent with 2 Hooks on either end.

Thanks Niall, unfortunately I don't have any springs to try other than some E-type SU return springs and they were too weak, I have some coat hanger wire at the ready, just need to source a suitable spring.

Thanks Niall, unfortunately I don't have any springs to try other than some E-type SU return springs and they were too weak, I have some coat hanger wire at the ready, just need to source a suitable spring.

You can normally buy a Box of mixed Springs down the Motor Factors for small money something about 2”or 3”Long would suit.

These are what you need but dont forget the stronger the Spring the harder youll have to press the Throttle.

Thanks Niall, I have ordered a couple and will see how I get on.

And I suggest that you check that the modified spring arrangement has plenty of clearance and moves freely throughout all throttle settings. I had my throttle jam against a home made heater hose heat shield once, the jam was only apparent when I was going WOT down a freeway.