Ignition issues/misfire/starting

Greetings Chaps

FURTHER UPDATE

Fitted the Pertronix Flamethrower coil this morning. Engine started beautifully, to be expected I guess, but I had a sparking from No 1 plug lead, where the plug joins, on to the coolant pipe that runs from front to back of the engine. I guess that is due to the extra voltage produced by the coil. 40k volts as opposed to 25k volts. Sorted that out, with some extra insulation, and the car runs beautifully. Tickover is much improved, smoothness overall improved, and importantly she starts when hot, on first turn of the motor.

I am therefore one happy boy.

Is it just me, or do you guys feel a bit apprehensive when you take to the road after doing work?? What have I missed, forgotten to do up, etc etc???

Thanks again chaps, help and comments much appreciated.

John

Is it just me, or do you guys feel a bit apprehensive when you take to the road after doing work?? What have I missed, forgotten to do up, etc etc???

Make sure you have tools with you - especially the ones that you used to make the latest change!! ;-)

Glad you appear to have success :)

I would suggest checking the solenoid and connections and also the ignition switch. My Marlin developed the same problem as this and it turned out to be the ignition switch that was faulty. Had an old one in the the bits box and it fixed the problem. Chris

Call me a heathen if you like, but after years of running classics, and becoming more disheartened at the quality of the spares, especially condensers, which I have had fail after only a few hundred miles, I went electronic.

Bought a complete brand new distributor for my Austin van from "Powersparks" for a very reasonable £60 and wish I had done it years ago. It starts instantly, has a steady tickover which it never had before (old dizzy could have been worn though), and seems to pull better.

So impressed was I that I immediately bought a conversion module from the same source for my 2litre vitesse which I fitted on Thursday, again same improvements.

Took it on a 120 mile round trip yesterday and it ran perfectly.

I am sold and have just ordered a complete distributor from them for my TR3 ready to install when I get that far along with the restoration for less than the cost of second hand distributors on ebay.

Anyone worried about being able to repair on roadside in the unlikely event of a module failing can carry the old points and condenser because it is easy to swap back if necessary.

Drag those old electrics into the 21st century, you won`t be disappointed.

Even easier is to buy a spare ign unit to swap out.

I have the Accuspark equivalent in my original dizzy, plus a spare ign unit just in case.

not needed it yet.

Bob.