Electronic Fuel Injection

I have had a Megasquirt 2 since 2011, and was using a Megajolt prior to that since 2005 (EDIS ignition).  As a USA car, it was great to not use a dizzy and even better to lose the ZS carbs.  If you have a completely stock motor and those thing are in excellent condition. Keep em. If the engine isn’t stock, EFI with ignition control is better. If you live where the elevation changes a lot and quickly too, EFI is nice (my MS2 has dual baro sense). So, very situationally dependent. 15 years of electronics, and never had any issue with any of the electronics.

20 hours ago, JohnRoberts said:

Hi Fabrizio

Yes bought kit from Kevin at Classic Fuel Injection.co.uk. 

Contact the above, he is more than helpful, and has copies of the software to suit my TR6 CP.

Regards JohnR

Sorry, so is this a 'thumbs up' for their range of fuel injection products? It is an attractive route for me to go down and would welcome some experience of the end result.

Hi Richard,

I've got 2 cars here at the moment that I am doing EFI conversion, 1 is 100% complete the other about halfway through. You're welcome to take a look (dorset).

There's nothing particularly novel here - people have been doing this for a long time and my system is pretty much the same as many have done before, i.e utilising PI bodies with spindles removed and bored for modern injectors, throttle body onto plenum (in my case a custom scratch built plenum and bmw throttle), 36-1 trigger wheel, VW ignition coil, ecu of your choice, custom mapping, speed density. Wideband lambda controller, AF gauge, coolant & inlet air temp sensors.  I modify the original fuel outlet and add a custom fitting for more flow to prefilter, bosch 044 pump, post filter and then piped up to a custom billet fuel rail & regulator. On one of the cars here I mounted the pump and filters in the wheel arch with a custom splash cover, but you can but them in the boot, add a swirl pot etc etc. 

I retain the base of the distributor to drive the mechanical rev counter.

So much of the conversion allows customer choice and every choice affects the cost, i.e ecu type (massive cost differences £250 -£1000, original or electric fan, pump locations, af gauge or not, type of fuel regulator etc etc. Every decision impacts cost, what parts customer has to start with - i.e throttle bodies, are you happy with used components, i.e throttle body. Genuine bosch pump or sytek. How much mapping do you want, i.e car starts and drives carefully, car starts and drives well, car has been tuned to it's potential..

I put quite a lot of details on a Facebook group 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/172747126463716/permalink/788831994855223/

Let me know if any specific questions.

Cheers

On 4/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, JohnRoberts said:

hi Richard

Yes, my car starts and runs like a modern car, with much improved fuel consumption.

Regards JohnR

Thanks. I'll probably follow this up, then. I assume the ECU is a megasquirt one - I have one on my other car (dax Rush with TVR 5.0l V8) and use the automatc map tuning facility as I only understand mapping at the high level.

I'm impressed with Mtrehy's post but I do not want to do so much fabrication as I'd rather buy a kit.

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, JohnRoberts said:

hi Richard

Yes, my car starts and runs like a modern car, with much improved fuel consumption.

Regards JohnR

Hi John, i'm looking to do the EFI conversion to my TR6 but would like to see a modified car would it be possible to see your conversion i'm in Staffordshire in the midlands. I'm happy to travel.

Many thanks for your consideration John Greenfield

I'm a long way from Staffordshire but I too have a fully working Megasquirt install using MS3. I am also happy to provide info, parts list, pictures, video, tuning maps or general assistance. I don't have the parts list as a complete ready to go document as much of it was ordered as I went along but now It's finished I know what's on it and where it came from. Electrical connectors are often an interesting challenge.

I got a trigger wheel and a timing cover with the right sensor bracket from Racestorations, off the shelf. This is one of the more tiresome parts of the job so a ready made kit of parts was very handy indeed.

I'm using a baustuck manifold, 3x Jenvey 40mm dual throttle bodies, a Jenvey idle speed control valve, Vauxhall Omega 6 cylinder coil pack, Zeitronix EGO system and off the shelf 200cc BMW fuel injectors. I used a special ITB tuning algorithm, which I think is unique to Megasquirt systems, which allows me to use manifold vacuum to regulate fuelling and timing at small throttles and lower speed and move to throttle position only higher up the range. This has the advantage of allowing idle speed control both during warm up and in normal running. Nice in a traffic jam as you can just lift the clutch a little and the ECU maintains idle speed like a modern car without touching the throttle to creep forwards.

5 hours ago, FatJon said:

I'm a long way from Staffordshire but I too have a fully working Megasquirt install using MS3. I am also happy to provide info, parts list, pictures, video, tuning maps or general assistance. I don't have the parts list as a complete ready to go document as much of it was ordered as I went along but now It's finished I know what's on it and where it came from. Electrical connectors are often an interesting challenge.

I got a trigger wheel and a timing cover with the right sensor bracket from Racestorations, off the shelf. This is one of the more tiresome parts of the job so a ready made kit of parts was very handy indeed.

I'm using a baustuck manifold, 3x Jenvey 40mm dual throttle bodies, a Jenvey idle speed control valve, Vauxhall Omega 6 cylinder coil pack, Zeitronix EGO system and off the shelf 200cc BMW fuel injectors. I used a special ITB tuning algorithm, which I think is unique to Megasquirt systems, which allows me to use manifold vacuum to regulate fuelling and timing at small throttles and lower speed and move to throttle position only higher up the range. This has the advantage of allowing idle speed control both during warm up and in normal running. Nice in a traffic jam as you can just lift the clutch a little and the ECU maintains idle speed like a modern car without touching the throttle to creep forwards.

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply i'm looking to buy the full kit in one go as a set. The company that John has used seems quit good. I was at the Malvern show and the chap next to me had the Jenvey throttle bodies which worked very well, i was very impressed.

This was my set up in 2011 First pic

Totally reliable. Emerald ECU and parts. Single throttle body on standard airbox. Modified throttle bodies

2nd pic      2020  Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies Remapped Emerald ECU on their rolling road.

Result, much more lively and fuel consumption slightly higher because of heavy foot and gorgeous sound of the Webber look alike,s when on full chat.

If you are thinking of changing just do it. I have kept all the parts to convert back (not by me)

Regards Harry

IMG_0259.JPG

20201228_140128_resized.jpg

15 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Totally reliable. Emerald ECU and parts. Single throttle body on standard airbox. Modified throttle bodies

2nd pic      2020  Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies Remapped Emerald ECU on their rolling road.

Result, much more lively and fuel consumption slightly higher because of heavy foot and gorgeous sound of the Webber look alike,s when on full chat.

If you are thinking of changing just do it. I have kept all the parts to convert back (not by me)

Regards Harry

IMG_0259.JPG

Lovely job Harry.  Still not got mine up and running.  Decided to take it into Enginuity for the finish. 

I’ll need to get that airbox system too as cool air intake is paramount. 

5D2155C6-3B95-47D2-82CF-8290B88634D7.jpeg

20 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Regards Harry

IMG_0259.JPG

Harry looks fantastic, are you near the Midlands then as i was intending going to the Jenvey unit in Bridgnorth to have a closer look.

I went with the full Emerald conversion on the 5 last year using triple coil wasted spark as well as jenvey heritage 'hiding' the new injectors. This replacing Prestige set-up. Now an excellent drive, no regrets whatsoever and loving the mpg of 35 to 40.

Mike. 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:54 PM, Mikell said:

I went with the full Emerald conversion on the 5 last year using triple coil wasted spark as well as jenvey heritage 'hiding' the new injectors. This replacing Prestige set-up. Now an excellent drive, no regrets whatsoever and loving the mpg of 35 to 40.

Mike. 

What cam are you using Mike? I have the Emerald/Jenvey Heritage setup but get nowhere near that MPG.

Other than the Emerald 'bits' the engine is factory standard - the head was cleaned up and re-valved at the Emerald installation time, along with a slight skim/flattening. After installation of the Emerald kit the car was set up by Emerald on their own rolling road at Watton with view to economy mapping - hence the mpg I guess (which comes mostly from E5 usage). I think the acceleration is slightly down to be fair, but I'm not too fussed about leaving my tyres behind at traffic lights nowadays - even so the car is going back to Watton soon for addition of an additional switchable map which will be 'performance'......the use of which I'm expecting to yield a lesser mpg - time will tell to what extent. I hasten to add that I cannot do any of this work myself, so rely totally upon a "capable guy" to deal with it for me. Cheers, Mike. 

11 hours ago, Mikell said:

Other than the Emerald 'bits' the engine is factory standard - the head was cleaned up and re-valved at the Emerald installation time, along with a slight skim/flattening. After installation of the Emerald kit the car was set up by Emerald on their own rolling road at Watton with view to economy mapping - hence the mpg I guess (which comes mostly from E5 usage). I think the acceleration is slightly down to be fair, but I'm not too fussed about leaving my tyres behind at traffic lights nowadays - even so the car is going back to Watton soon for addition of an additional switchable map which will be 'performance'......the use of which I'm expecting to yield a lesser mpg - time will tell to what extent. I hasten to add that I cannot do any of this work myself, so rely totally upon a "capable guy" to deal with it for me. Cheers, Mike. 

This explains the difference then, mine was set up on Emerald’s RR too, but I wanted performance and didn’t mind some pops & bangs, if I wanted mpg I’d have an MX5 :D

Haha, yep each to their own and that's the beauty of TR ownership and the Register isn't it? I think that the overriding message for anyone wondering for whatever reason about efi is that it can work well and can be configured to suit personal preference. There is an initial cost of course, but then what price to pursue any special interest or hobby :D?

The 3-way map switch is the way to go every time.  This way you can have a performance map, with extra ignition and fuel, poor fuel map (in the event you can only get 95RON, & and get some pinking), & finally an economy map- fuel lean and less ignition. For £15 for this option, it has to be worth it.  Don't get my wrong, I have mine in full fat mode most of the time, and had it mapped for pops, crackles and flames on closed throttle by Emerald.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, harrytr5 said:

I am close to junction 8 M1

Hemel Hempstead.

Regards Harry 

Hi Harry, sorry it's taken me a couple of weeks to reply. I'd like to have a chat with you about your EFI system and possibly see it too. I'll be at the NEC for the classic car show are you going ?

On 9/27/2021 at 9:08 AM, TRTOM2498PI said:

The 3-way map switch is the way to go every time.  This way you can have a performance map, with extra ignition and fuel, poor fuel map (in the event you can only get 95RON, & and get some pinking), & finally an economy map- fuel lean and less ignition. For £15 for this option, it has to be worth it.  Don't get my wrong, I have mine in full fat mode most of the time, and had it mapped for pops, crackles and flames on closed throttle by Emerald.

I really like this idea, a useful enhancement not simply a Lucas replacement.