front engine plate with two extra holes?

I have installed a new steel front sealing block, and this has 2 extra threaded holes.

I have 2 gaskets in the Payen gasket set, one with, and one without the 2 additional holes at the bottom.

The advantage (I think) is that the distance between the bolts is made smaller by the two additional bolts for the front engine plate so the risk of oil leakage is reduced.

My front engine plate does not have matching holes for these however, probably because it is an early engine (CP103)?.

This may seem stating the obvious, but can I drill the extra two holes in the front engine plate?

Thanks,

Waldi

Why not.

I have just changed the gasket on my cp and the plate didnt have the holes in, but also not in the aluminium bridge piece, whch was quite warped, but was able to true it up and used plenty of a silicone jointing compound, no more leaks there now. Also the little corner gaskets on the bridge piece where not fitted either but when fitted the bridge stood out too far, so left them out and put silcone in their place. Make sure you get the bridge level with the block face, as it moves a bit when you tighten the screws.

John

Thanks John,

Thats what I thought (why not).

But Im prudent when doing modifications, things that seem obvious or reasonable at first glance may appear more complicated later.

I too left the 2 little gaskets out and used wellseal instead.

Getting the new steel sealing block fitting nicely took me almost 2 hrs.

Regards,

Waldi

A related question:

Which gasket compound can I best use on the front engine plate, on both gaskets?

Hylomar Blue

Hylomar M

Permatex Blue RTV silicone gasket maker

Wellseal?

I have all 4.

Looks like all 3 are ok, but i woud like to know if there is a preference for a perticular product.

Thanks,

Waldi

I, 2 and 4, I would use on flat mating surfaces, the silicone I would use if the joins were not completely flat, perhaps like the sump as example, which can get a bit distorted, and so the silicone will take up a larger gap that perhaps the others would not do.

John