60 Spoke Wire Wheels on a TR6?

Hi

I managed to acquire some cheap 60 spoke wire wheels (15 x 4.5/5?) which came off a TR4 as part of a bulk garage clear out. Although they would fit the TR6, would there be any issues with handling, fitment, weight (strength of wires) etc as I know the TR6 option was for 72 spoke wheels and 5.5 width. Has anyone done this to their TR6?

My current wheels are steel rims at 15 x 5.5J with 205 profile tyres (I would need new tyres as well........). I prefer not to cut my wheels studs down in case I revert back to steels again so was thinking of using spacers if I go down this route? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

James

PS Does anyone know if there were any PI TR6s exported to the USA (as a special order) or were they all carbies?

Edited by Kiwi64

hello James, as you say, they will fit. My understanding is that the 60 spoke rims were simply nit as strong as the 72's, so there might be some issues if you drive 'enthusiastically'. Ferrari's used 82 spoke rims. If my memory serves me correctly, the longer studs were to be used on wire wheels, not the steel versions. I believe there are a very small number of Pi cars in the states, but the CC head ports were specifically built so that the CP Pi could not be fitted retrospectively. Tyres will probably need to be 165's max. Good luck, let us know how you get on. Austin

Thanks for the info Austin, the wheels need to be refurbished ( a couple of broken wires) so just weighing up the pros and cons. The TR6 is a lot heavier than the TR4 so I may decide to upgrade to 72 spokes..........

James

I drive my 5 hard on mountain roads with 60's as it came with when bought.

They probably look more period than 72's leeast on a 5.

You need to tap them regularly and do some work once a year or so on some, but I actually find fixing wires is quite a satisfying job.

I had a Healy mk2 (3 litre, triple carb) which had 60 spoke wheels.

Same power/torque/weight range, no issues.

There are poor quality repros, be carefull with those.

Mine came from MWS-UK, all good.

Waldi

I wouldnt use 60 spokes on a TR6; I use 72 spokes on my TR4. Having said that they should be fine for a less enthusiastic driver as long as they are checked regularly as 60 spokes were standard on a TR5.

If you do fit wires the adapters require special thin double taper wheel nuts and shorter studs. The best option would be to retain the original studs and use 1/4 spacers behind the adaptors so that you can revert to standard wheels if you wish.

Its best to Loctite the adaptor nuts.

I suspect the impact might be more visual rather than anything else as the 6 has more pronounced wheel arch flares than the 4/5. Narrow wheels might look a bit lost. But these things are personal, I've no doubt 60 spoke wheels are strong enough. I have one as my spare so I hope so!

Mostly they are not worth the effort although I do not see problems in strength, too.

Modern wire wheels can be used without tubes, difficult to find tyres that are for

tube type use. Mostly that is forbidden.

I would aim for 6", what in these days is pretty small, I am on 7" Maxilite.

As written above, tyres are 205, that looks nice although 195 will do the job, too.

But both feel better on 6" or 7", 205 on 5" is not good and not allowed.

So all in all with all the expensive parts like spokes and nipples it will be the

same price to buy the new set and have the silicone bed for tubeless as add on.

Edited by TriumphV8

I think they are identical.

Cheers,

Tom

Looking at photos, you may well be correct. Just goes to show! I've always thought 6 wheel arch lips were wider, particularly the front but it turns out I need new glasses.

Thanks for all the good advice! I expect I will probably move them on and keep the standard wheels for the time being!