Webasto in hard top

Someone asked for some photos of my webasto in the hard top. Can't remember who it was so have attached them for the record. Cheers Tim

post-9977-0-85621500-1528750030_thumb.jpg

post-9977-0-17031300-1528750050_thumb.jpg

Yes.. Actaully slight sad story.. The "clasp" is for a full width brown Perspex sun visor that comes with the sunroof (actaully a britax).

It was in one peice when i bought it and then I tripped over it and snapped it.. It is curved so need to find someone to make a new one..

the catch for the roof is actually on the sliding part.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Have a look at littleportboathaven.co.uk they sell some Britax parts.

Ian

I’m so jealous Tim !

I’d love a hardtop with exactly that Webasto setup for my 6......reminds me of my very first car a Ford Capri in red with black Webasto roof.

Steve

Thanks for the link. Just what I needed!

Used superglue to fix the visor. Not too bad

post-9977-0-94620300-1528835106_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am an old man 63 so you can all shoot me, I do not like the sunroof in a TR6 hardtop, I have just spent about £2000 in total buying painting an NOS hardtop etc which I love, so I am mad to, but I don,t really like soft tops, I think the Surry top is the perfect solution apart from the fact that the curved rear screen should be square like the TR6 hardtop.

For what it is worth, people have tried to make a Surrey that is more in keeping with the 6 type hard top but to my eye, they look awful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We are lucky to have so many options.

I think it the end it really depends upon personal taste and what you are going to use the car for. I had an OEM hardtop on my triumph spitfire when I was a student and it was brilliant. Could park it anywhere without worrying and made the car useable as a daily driver in the winter. On the TR6 I love having the softop and now I have a garage now worries about parking. We even did the Essex rally last winter at below zero with the top down. However doing the round britain reliability run with my sister (who drives an Audi A6) as co-driver has made me get a hardtop. The decision to get one with a webasto was to see if it could be useable in the winter, give protection and allow the old wind in the hair experience. Equally a Surrey top would do this. Just a bit out of my price range :-)

Hi mhossack,

One thing I like about this forum is the range of views and outlooks. Very good to hear yours.

Regarding the Surrey top. I originally thought about making a Surrey top out of an old TR6 hard top but it looked challenging. Also looked at a fibre glass Surrey. Much cheaper but the mix of TR6 lines and tr4 lines looks odd.

post-13949-0-74819600-1531138358_thumb.jpgI think the surrey conversion works really well and looks great on a TR6. It is so much better for wind suppression compared to those wind breakers. This cost around £1000 complete with painting (Honeybourne fibreglass version) and the Revington kit to secure the soft surrey top to the windscreen capping.

We all have different views and for looks, and practicality, the TR6 with surrey is ideal.

Colin

Welcome to the forum Mick,

Having been on many forums, this one is a friendly one. Without it I wouldn't have managed the chassis swap or many of the other 1000s of jobs I have done on my TR6.

Cheers

Tim

Colin,

Never seen a honeybourne Surrey top in the flesh. Looks good.

Cheers

Tim

I personally like the look of both the factory TR6 H/Top & the Surrey top on a '6 (although the Factory '6 top is slightly better suited & probably more practical). I'm just amazed that the factory dropped the Surrey top (with the TR5) at around the time that Porsche & Ferrari (& later Fiat, Lancia,Chevrolet etc) were starting to popularize the 'Targa' top, especially as I believe that many thought that proper convertibles were going to be outlawed in the USA; Also, I think a 'Targa' top could have suited the TR7.... Typical British motor industry foresight!

Cheers,

Paul.

Colin,

Never seen a honeybourne Surrey top in the flesh. Looks good.

Cheers

Tim

With a bit of fiddling you can make the Honeybourne version look identical to a real one as on my 4a.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-93865400-1531149099_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

I’m so jealous Tim !

I’d love a hardtop with exactly that Webasto setup for my 6......reminds me of my very first car a Ford Capri in red with black Webasto roof.

Steve

Let us not forget that the Webasto sun roof was a factory option on TR 7

Peter W

Hi Mick,

this is the process for posting pics

Photo posting

Click on more options – bottom right corner

to add photo's - not too difficult.

Click on - more reply options - bottom right corner

Click on - choose file - left hand side

Select your pics

Click on - attach this file - left hand side

Place cursor where you want the pic.

Click on - add file - right hand side.

Note the pic must not be too big. 100Kb is nice. I use MS Paint to resize.

The Green TR3 belongs to a North London Group member (Andy) - nice car.

Roger

Mick, now that is a beautiful car, especially with the hard top on.

Think we all agree on that????.

Waldi

Mick,

The car looks beautiful.

Glad you didn't give up.

Cheers Tim

Good to hear you got your enrhousiasm back Mick.

How was the fitting of the Moss GB tunnel? Acceptable gaps etc?

Thanks,

Waldi

Waldi,

The Moss 2-piece gearbox tunnel is just about OK. I still had to make apertures for the speedometer cable drive and overdrive solenoid though. The beauty of the 2-piece is that you can access lots of areas without removing all the interior and seats. I found the fibre glass version impossible to fit properly.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

Im aware of previous posts about the GB tunnels, but additional info is wecome.

Tim,

Apologies for this hyjack, realized later this coversation drifted away from your original post.

Best regards,

Waldi

No probs. I fitted a one piece gearbox tunnel which I then converted into two piece. Works well.

Tim

Mick,

Thanks for the detailed description, very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Waldi