Oil pressure gone up

Hi All,

Just had an oil change (Millers 20/50 Classic) & the oil pressure appears to have risen by around 5psi throughout the range. Not a huge increase I agree but when cold the pressure is up to about 90psi until things warm up & it comes down to around 75 when it used to be 70 @ about 3000 rpm. After several miles the tick over pressure is around 20 to 25 when it used to be 15 to 20 (as I said overall a 5psi increase). Question is should I adjust or leave well alone? Just a little concerned to see it so high @ start & possibly pushing out more oil from the rear oil seal than before!

Thanks.

I have much the same problem. I choose to take it easy until

the oil gets a bit warm. A bit frustrating, but I don't want to

mess about with the relief valve adjustment.

AlanR

The pressure you see on the gauge is that being fed to the main bearings, thicker oil cannot get through the bearings as quickly hence the pressure builds up, however the amount of oil exiting the bearings and generally sloshing around will be little different to what it was before and should not affect the rear oil seal. The quantity of oil exiting via the rear oil seal is usually determined by crankcase back pressure caused by piston blow by and poor crankcase ventilation, it is not affected by engine oil pressure.

Chris

Chris is right.

I wouldnt worry, I just changed back to Castrol classic on my 5 this time and saw the oil at like 90 when I started her. Took her out for a thrash (after she had warmed) beating some life out of the oil and now pressure is not so high anymore. hahahah