boot lid hinges

Hi,

A hinge has snapped on my 4a and as they are handed are they fitted with the pin side facing inwards? It would be logical so the plain face is outwards. That's how I had them fitted but wondering if I had them fitted wrongly and that is why one broke.

Thanks

Simon

If you look at them end on from the rear they are angle handed so the left one is thicker on the left side and the right hand is thicker on the right side so when fitted they raise the lid in a straight line vertically.

Stuart.

Yes Simon, my pins face inwards, like Mike's. A word of warning, nine years ago on Club Triumph's Ten Countries Run I had reason to open the boot at the Swiss border and was amazed to find that the pin in the right hand hinge had come out. Fortunately it had lodged in the channel and I was able to retrieve and replace it. I had cleaned all the chrome before leaving and would have noticed had the head of this pin been proud at the time. I can't understand how it could have worked loose and come out in only 1,000 miles or so, I think I should blame Howard Pryor's driving, he was sharing the car with me that year!!

It would be as well to check the security of these pins from time to time.

Tim