Standard Distributor Advance

Hello again, steady progress with the Efi, car now starts and reasonably steady tickover, before I take the car to the rolloing road I will have to feed the advance in by hand as the advance mechanism is solid (that's another story), anyone know the advance in degrees per 500 rpm increase for a standard distributor, thanks again, Andrew

I think the standard Advance curve is plotted in the Work Shop Manual.

Agree, standard advance vs rpm is shown in the wsm, usually as a range of values at certain rpm.

I fitted an Amethyst programmable ignition on my GT6 and set it to the the most advanced end of the range quoted in the wsm. It ran very well. Then went to a rolling road and the values I had set from the wsm proved to be very close to the optimum.

Nigel

When i fitted the 123tune+ i measured the advance on the old distrib at every 500 revs beforehand and set the 123 to the same curve.

I will have a roloing road tune at some point but it runs well.

I could ‘find’ those numbers if that would help?

Steve

Have also got the amethyst system. Am using 11 degrees static and max advance of 20 at 2500 rpm. Seems to work ok.

Tim D PM'd me asking for the advance curves found on rolling road for the Amethyst programmable ignition.

The attached pdf shows the ignition map settings that were optimised on the rolling road at Aldon Automotive for my GT6 and TR6. I hope these prove useful but please note these were developed on the engines in my own cars, and work well for the state of tune, degree of wear etc that apply to my cars. Other engines may work better with slightly different settings but for me, both cars have run well like this for several years.

Nigel

Triumph GT6 & TR6 Amethyst Settings.pdf

Hello All, thanks for the help, I got the figures from the WSM but they only go up to 900rpm so on the rolling road tomorrow, I will let you know how I get on, cheers, Andrew