How mant voltage stablizers are there normally

Hi everyone I am currently rewiring my TR4 rebuild, it was stripped apart when I purchased. all the wiring has gone back together nicely, however I am interested to know if there is normally two voltage stabilizers in the loam.

The loam where it comes thru the firewall has the required connections of 3 green wires and one green/black with the necessary connectors

but further along the loam almost centre of the dash there are another set of wires 3 x green and one green black all with the necessary connectors. there is a second stabilizer in among the box of bits, so I am wondering is it either necessary/ normal to have a second stabilizer in the system. Cant see it on the wiring dia, so I am wondering any thoughts?

cheers Jim

Edited by kiwi-jim

+1 with Graeme, only ever seen 1 fitted.

Mick Richards

Thanks guys guess I will stick with just the one then.

cheers

Normally one BUT two is a very good idea.

The "proper" old ones work by switching, this is efficient and makes no waste heat.

"Modern" electronic ones use voltage regulators that just turn excess voltage into heat.

But they make them the same size as the old ones.

They are on the limit of overheating if both gauges are right over.

One per gauge is a better bet.

Having replaced my old style with electronic versions, I have 2.

1 for Temp and 1 for fuel.

I cannot find it now, but I did read an article recommending this. They have worked fine for years now.

Thanks Alan and Mal, think I might wire both in place and see what happens, There has to be a reason the extra set of wires are there

Mal your photo shows a works replica look a like, can I ask what you did about rear number plate illumination on your car if it has no rear bumpers. I assume you require plate lighting in the UK as well??

Cheers jim

Hi Jim,

pm me your email and I'll send details and photo

It's this one, also available in Stainless

https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=010&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0060&agName=Numberplate+Lamps&pCode=L467/56790#prettyPhoto

Edited by 4Mal

Thanks Alan and Mal, think I might wire both in place and see what happens, There has to be a reason the extra set of wires are there

Mal your photo shows a works replica look a like, can I ask what you did about rear number plate illumination on your car if it has no rear bumpers. I assume you require plate lighting in the UK as well??

Cheers jim

We all use these in place of the number plate bolts so a more subtle approach and requires no extra drilling

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-NUMBER-PLATE-SCREW-BOLT-LED-WHITE-LIGHTS-FOR-TAIL-TIDY-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-12V/292379036545?epid=24011747026&hash=item4413260b81:g:UtAAAOSweZJaOOrq

Stuart.

Thats cool Stuart thanks for the heads up

cheers