Metering unit enrichment lever - stiffness

The MU choke lever on my car seems to be working ok, I have a question though, should it move easily with finger pressure? I can only seem to move it with the choke lever.

Ian

Yep it's spring loaded but shouldn't be hard to operate by hand.

You haven't got a solid core inner cable on the enrichment lever have you? If so it would be difficult to move by finger. It's been so long since I had my 6 I can't recall if the cable was solid or braided core.

Edited by peejay4A

Yes Pete, it is a solid core cable, I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Ian

If your stuck I have a MU in garage I can try?

Thanks REM, I think I'm ok for now, we're back to the rods I'm afraid.

I had this problem. The lever the cable operates can get stiff with little use. My car had been little used for 20 or so years. The lever wouldn't return to its normal off position. The engine would run so rich the car would cut out and not start. I had to push the lever home by hand to start and drive.

I used INOX lubricant sprayed liberally down between the block and MU where the lever hinges and worked the lever backwards and forwards by hand for about 10 minutes. It now moves smoothly.

A solid cable will make it hard to move manually so remove the cable connection and it should move smoothly and lightly. An advantage of the solid cable is it will push the lever all the way home if it is a bit stiff.