Its raining Tr5's

A new high water mark for a LHD TR5. I'm guessing given its ask that its a true PI and not a converted 250 - funny how resellers will say "a 250 is a '5' with fuel injection"....A friend who exports to Europe has been selling every TR250 he's gotten over the last five years to France it seems - I didn't realize TR's were so popular in that country!

That money was fetched years ago for a TR5 at Barret Jackson if memory serves ( $105K ? )

Given such prices cream puff TR250s are cheap by comparison, and as I have found can be made to perform as well or better with cam swap, head mill and Webers - all for less than $5K. Doesn't have the pedigree and while they will narrow the gap over time likely never will reach parity on prices. At present and for some time to come however they look a much better value to me. But I still drive mine, 5-6000 miles per year.

As for French fans, Stuart rendered a beautiful resto for such a one several years ago.

This one would be better with the right grill ( excellent repros again available! ), original steering wheel and painted beading.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont

Did the LHD TR5 have the extra warning lights and hazard switch that the 250 has? The photo of the TR5 dash has them.

Graeme

and the missing rear wing badges? The Tr6 internals that coloured H frame?

The wrong positioning of the TR5 badge?

Also is the surrey looking strange?

I mean all that money for a monkey?

I am not an anorak nor is my 5 but this one?

Someone toss it a bannana!!!!!

Edited by Rem18

Position of lights on rear wings are way adrift. Strange!

Tim

Probably as they didnt have the badges and didnt want to put the 250 ones back.

Is this a fake?

If so shouldnt it be reported?

At this price it borders on a serious fraud.

Unless there is any real evidence, it seems a bit of a stretch to float that suggestion.

TIM

Please I was was asking?

Legitimate question no?

Surely if there are these strange things any harm in investigating?

Surely we should help protect our cars?

Asking is, of course, always ok. I just didn't want it to end up as an accusation.

Did the LHD TR5 have the extra warning lights and hazard switch that the 250 has? The photo of the TR5 dash has them.

Graeme

Yes they did as per the last L/Hand drive TR5 that I did, genuine Malines built car.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-16261300-1528642403_thumb.jpg

Very interesting comments, yes triumphs ARE popular here in France. I have just had a TR6 valued at €34k however it is a cc model with overdrive and PI fitted and not being sold as an original injection car. It would appear that they somewhat status symbols to the classic car owners and different to the usual Renault Alpines, Citroen 2cv etc etc. they certainly turn heads.

WRT the car shown and being discussed, is the gear knob gate correct? Reverse is the opposite way around to a normal uk car and I thought they were all the same LHD or RHD?

The moral of the story for me (if I ever had the funds to buy what are undoubtedly lovely cars) is I would take an independent expert with me to view the potential purchase. A small cost that could be easily offset against a potential disaster.

As has been said before a fool and his money.....

Iain

Edited by iain

As an owner I think I know most stuff but I would probably have an evaluation anyway.

The moral of the story for me (if I ever had the funds to buy what are undoubtedly lovely cars) is I would take an independent expert with me to view the potential purchase. A small cost that could be easily offset against a potential disaster.

As has been said before a fool and his money.....

Iain

Independent valuation is a must for a seller it confirms the state of the car and for the buyer they know what they are getting!

Also the need to view underneath - imho it should be as good underneath as on top. Especially as you will pay top price for a 5. In the end any historical photo are always well received by a buyer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...