Hi Everyone

I've not been on the TR Forum for a good while, mainly due to other car commitments but now I'm looking to do some work on my TR50 resto.

I have a 2.5S saloon gearbox with J Type overdrive that I intend to install in my GT6. This would be a straight swap since I have been running it with an identical unit for nearly 30 years. This leaks profusely and is of unknown mileage, but still has an excellent shift. Once this swap is done I intend to have the ex-GT6 box rebuilt and eventually use it to replace the non overdrive unit currently fitted in the TR250.

I'm looking to have the rebuild done by a local company since I'd like to be able to deliver it personally rather than risk using a courier.

I've been asked the same questions -availability of spare parts for both the gearbox and overdrive.

I'm not sure about the gearbox but it sticks in my mind that there is a company that rebuilds overdrives, or am I having a senior moment?

Ideally I'd like to have the same company rebuild both and source the parts themselves.

Any recommendations please for both parts suppliers and also rebuilders?

Cheers

Alan

Hello,

I’m sure that both these companies are good at what they do, but I’ve never really been able to understand certain claims that they make on their individual websites.

overdrive-repairs.co.uk says:

“... Laycocks had been winding down their repair and service work, and this presented Joe with the opportunity to purchase much of their equipment and spares.”

odspares.com says:

“… coupled with the fact that when Laycocks finally went into liquidation, Ernie was able to buy all of the company's obsolete stock ensuring that most of the parts supplied nowadays are still the original Laycock parts! “

How could they both have purchased all the remaining spares?

Charlie.

Hello,

I’m sure that both these companies are good at what they do, but I’ve never really been able to understand certain claims that they make on their individual websites.

overdrive-repairs.co.uk says:

“... Laycocks had been winding down their repair and service work, and this presented Joe with the opportunity to purchase much of their equipment and spares.”

odspares.com says:

“… coupled with the fact that when Laycocks finally went into liquidation, Ernie was able to buy all of the company's obsolete stock ensuring that most of the parts supplied nowadays are still the original Laycock parts! “

How could they both have purchased all the remaining spares?

Charlie.

Overdrive repair Co (ORS) are the ones I always deal with along with a lot of the trade. They do a very good job and come highly recommended.They also manufacture new parts.

Stuart.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Stuart

Do Overdrive Repair Services do gearboxes as well? I’m assuming ORS is the same company?

Cheers

Alan

Don’t forget Mike Papworth, well worth making contact with.

For a more local option have you spoken with Chic Doig not far from you in Cardenden

...... Andy

I've had very good service from OD Spares with my o/d's. They bench tested a TR6 J type and converted an unused J type off a Triumph saloon to TR4A use. Guess you are pretty safe with whoever you use.

Alan.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Stuart

Do Overdrive Repair Services do gearboxes as well? I’m assuming ORS is the same company?

Cheers

Alan

Yes they do and a very good job they make of them. They have always been known to us as ORS.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart